question

bwickett avatar image
bwickett asked

CERBO GX causing multi to quit

Got a question that hopefully someone can help with. I have 600Ah BB, Victron Multi 3000, 3 Victron solar chargers and the cerbo and GX monitor. Everything is hooked up and working, I went in to VE config and set everything up as well as added the Hub-1 assistant so that I can use solar as primary even when plugged into shore power. (in an RV). Everything was unhooked as Victron said and the send went fine to the multi. I then unplugged my computer (but left the cable plugged into the multi), plugged the cerbo back in and turned on the AC power. that is where it goes south. When I plug the cerbo in it causes all the loads to the subpanel to be lost and causes the multi to flash invert, low battery and bulk/absorb all alternating. When I unplug the cerbo, reset the multi everything goes back to working. Now until today the cerbo has been working fine. So I unhooked everything again, went back in and restored everything to default, hooked it all back up and I still have the same issue. What in plugging up the cerbo is now causing the multi not to work? Also I have tried multiple RG cables, no difference. As long as the cerbo is not plugged in the system works fine.

cerbo gx
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrseas avatar image mrseas commented ·

Did you try “rebooting” the Cerbo? What firmware version are you running on the Cerbo?

0 Likes 0 ·
bwickett avatar image bwickett mrseas commented ·

Yes I rebooted with no effect. I don't remember the version and I can't turn it on...but I did ensure it was up to date with no revisions before I started.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
bwickett avatar image
bwickett answered ·

If AC power is off and the Cerbo is unplugged, the invt light is on and it works fine. If I then turn on AC it will do the switchover and everything works fine. In either instance if I plug in the cerbo the invert light, low batt light will blink alternately from the mains on, bulk and absorb lights. AC will go through to the non inverted items in the coach, but all inverted items have zero power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Bwickett You're using a deprecated Assistant with new hardware - please read the Overview of available Assistants, and take note that all the HUB Assistants have been deprecated in favor of the ESS Assistant.

Please reconfigure your Multi appropriately and that will likely solve your problem!

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There is a conflict between the MK2/3 and the GX device. Only one allowed on the VE Bus at the same time. What happens if you disconnect the MK3 from the Multi and plug in the Cerbo?

2 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@Kevin Windrem, so long as the Venus OS is recent and the Multi FW is also recent you can actually plug an MK3 directly into the free VE.Bus port on a CCGX or Cerbo and program the Multi through that, as the VE.Bus ports are non-isolated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

I just ran some tests. Both a CCGX and the MK3 can be connected at the same time. However, if you fire up Victron Connect, the Multi's information drops off the CCGX. The fields show --- instead of actual values. If you quit Victron Connect, the display returns to normal after maybe 20 seconds.

That's with a MultiPlus Compact 2000/120 473 firmware (the latest version according to Victron Connect). There is a more recent version in professional.victronenergy.com (476) that I have not installed. Would that make a difference?

0 Likes 0 ·