question

ylric avatar image
ylric asked

Victron Multiplus could be used offgrid??

All this time I believed the Multiplus needed any sort of AC input to work as an inverter, but I just read that the Multiplus could be used on offgrid applications or if there was loss of power on the grid. Does this mean the multiplus actually works like a Phoenix inverter if there's no AC in?

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

You are correct.

My Phoenix has a Multiplus chip as standard, but I don't know if a Multiplus and a Phoenix with the same firmware can be paralleled.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ylric avatar image ylric commented ·

Thank you Phil.

Does that mean than when there is no power from the grid, it'll just take power from the batteries and charge controller to power the loads and make its own AC supply?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

Yes, and even can effect power control of PV interters on it's AC output. As can a Phoenix.

I just don't know if a Phoenix can be paralleled to a Multiplus as a cheaper way to increase overall inverter capacity, if a single multiplus is already sufficient for the available grid supply.

2 comments
2 |3000

ylric avatar image ylric commented ·

I don't think so, they said the part number should be the same or something like that when using parallels. So I doubt that it is possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin ylric commented ·

It is the firmware number that must be the identical to parallel two devices.

But what I am saying is ( on the two 5kVA Phoenix's, that I have personally seen at least) the firmware is actually the same as the multiplus firmware. It appeared to me that the Phoenix thought it was a Multiplus.

Therefore, I do think it may be possible, I just can't say for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·