question

tharbarn avatar image
tharbarn asked

Digital input specs Cerbo GX

I'm fitting a Cerbo GX to an off grid camper build and looking to use the digital inputs to monitor the alarm system, open door, etc. But I can't find specs on what can trigger the inputs. Can I use 12v ish triggers from the vehicle or do I need to run relays to isolate and use a 0v negative trigger? Also what is the current, voltage limit on the relays?

cerbo gxVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

These inputs have 3.3V weak pull up resistors. They are designed to be pulled low with potential free (dry) contacts or an open collector opto-coupler.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tharbarn avatar image tharbarn commented ·

Thanks,

Sorry for my ignorance, how do I input a 12v signal into the Cerbo? Do I switch a relay and then connect the other side of the relay to the two contacts on the Cerbo?

0 Likes 0 ·
cpt-pat avatar image
cpt-pat answered ·

Yes, I would use the contacts from a 12 volt relay in that application. Considering wkirby's answer above, including information about weak (I infer high resistance) pull up resistors, I also recommend that wiring to the relay contacts be shielded if it's a long run, or if you have any antennas nearby. Ground the shield at only one end - at or near the cerbo, to DC negative or connect it in parallel to the minus (-) input. Otherwise, you may get spurious inputs when transmitting.

Using shielded lines for all high impedance/resistance sources also makes them less vulnerable to lightning damage from induced currents. I hope there are electrostatic discharge (ESD) diodes on all of the cerbo inputs, but there's no way to confirm it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page