question

kaytee avatar image
kaytee asked

auto stop start Cummins/Onan genset model type MDKBK.

i am installing 2.4kw of PV power onboard my yacht. i am installing 2 x MPPT 150/30. and a CCGX.

how do i wire the cummins onan genset for auto stop/start.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

Your CCGX has a menu devoted to starting/stopping the genset with a variety of conditions. Whats missing is the device to tell the Onan to Start/Stop. I have a PLC (Programmable logic controller ) which produces the required 3 second pulse required to get my Kohler generator to start/stop. Once you find out what your Onan needs is all "Plain Sailing".

I have resisted the urge for the genset to be on "Auto" I connect via the VRM portal and start it myself. I always make it a timed run because i dont trust the internet. If it falls over and i cannot get to the stop button........... well eventually it would run out of fuel :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·
2 |3000

fatfash avatar image
fatfash answered ·

@tony-c can you share the wiring diagram for the autostart with you Kohler generator.

Thank you.

2 |3000

rona avatar image
rona answered ·

Here is my onan schemo,AUTO GEN SCHEMO.pdf

2 |3000

tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

Hi, My wiring schematics don't go down to the level you would need and antway the "Smarts" are the logic within the PLC. There are lots on Onans in Lagoon catamarans and some should have Victron systems. Sorry I can't be of more help

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic