question

Rod Krempaszky avatar image
Rod Krempaszky asked

Honda generator 2 wire self starting

New installation with a EasySolar 24/3000 On wiring the 2 wire cable to the Honda gen-set controller via CCGX, it starts and stops itself intermittently. Pressing the CCGX, it starts and stops. Programming and checking, it starts and stops in the parameters tested, no issue. First time we have come across a phantom start/stop signal. Firmware on CCGX 2.32 very remote, no phone coverage, not on VRM. We had another identical Honda with us as we have another site using the same gear, so swapped generators to check the generator side. Same phantom start/stop. To cure we have installed a relay between the CCGX and 2 wire controller on the Honda. Phantom issue resolved. Has anyone come across this issue before? Cheers Rod
Generator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David R Romaka avatar image David R Romaka commented ·
I use a onan p4500i with a GSMI attachment to convert it to a 2 wire start and have a ton of issues(it works 1 or 2 times and then it kills my multiplus). It has gotten so bad that I am ready to not use start/stop. I am very impressed that you have had success. The question I have is if your honda generator has 2 wire start from the factory and if so what is the model so I could get one. Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That is quite strange. As I'm sure you are aware, it's just a pair of dry relay contacts in the CCGX too.
I wonder where you have wired the additional relay? Is it close to the generator or is it close to the CCGX? The difference being that if the generator input is sensitive enough, it might be responding to noise introduced on the start wires. A relay coil would not be sensitive enough to noise on the wires and so the problem goes away if it is wired close to the generator.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rod Krempaszky avatar image Rod Krempaszky commented ·
Gday, all correct. Relay added in close to generator. Must be inducted on the signal side, as you mention. Same problem with other Genny we tried. Never had this issue before. Fix in place, as we figure the next site... Cheers Rod
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic