question

rusty-s avatar image
rusty-s asked

Auto start Newer Onan

I have a 2019-20 Onan 5.5 GEN set. I just installed a BMV-712, a CCGX and Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 120V. I have done a lot of research on this site but I’m wondering if my generator is newer and I do not need to install two separate relays like what was needed in the past. I’m not electrician and I am trying to learn. I have a pretty decent idea on how everything works but I do not know exactly what wires needs power, how long and when they need power. On my GEN set I have a start wire that is (red) and a stop/prime wire that is (green). Obviously The green wire needs momentary 5sec power to prime the fuel pump. Then the red wire needs power to start. I have tested both green and red wires and when the generator is running they are both powered up with around 11.7 V. I have a Lippert one control system that is a fully functional generator auto start feature. However now that I have lithium batteries my Lippert system will not recognize a linear voltage drop because my lithium batteries will maintain a high voltage charge status. So the only way to trigger a generator auto start is through my battery state of charge via my battery monitor or CCGX. Does anybody have experience with this situation? If so can you please explain to me what I need to buy and how I need to wire it and set it up?

Generator
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rusty-s avatar image rusty-s commented ·

The brown wire is ground, green wire = stop/prime, red wire = start, orange wire = hour-meter and the blue wire is for the indicator light.

0 Likes 0 ·
tsawind avatar image tsawind rusty-s commented ·

Is this really still relevant? I've been looking at what is needed for my auto-start from my cerbo gx into my Onan 5500, I just figured out that "relay 1" on the cerbo is just a continuity switch basically, 3 wires, just connects either left wire to middle, or right wire to middle.

I opened my generator just like you did, and jumped brown and red, and it started and stayed running, pulled that off, jumped brown and green and it shut off. All the information with these expensive boxes, kits, and timed relays seems over complicated and expensive compared to what would actually be needed?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
jaywolfe avatar image
jaywolfe answered ·

You will need a box of tricks to change the open / closed relay of the victron ccgx to a signal that works with the onan momentary switches.

I had one made by gencontrol.co.uk and it works well for me.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic