question

Paul Green avatar image
Paul Green asked

SmartShunt Weak Bluetooth?

I have a Victron Smart Solar charger (100/30) installed in a basement compartment in my RV and can connect my smart phone and tablet via Bluetooth anywhere in my RV and all around it.

Today I installed a Victron SmartShunt in a basement compartment and have trouble connecting via Bluetooth unless my device is very close to the shunt. In the RV I must be directly above that compartment and outside I must be at the door to the compartment where it's installed.

So, the bluetooth signal seems to be much weaker than the Smart Solar controller. Is this normal? Or so I have some other problem?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskakiwi avatar image alaskakiwi commented ·
I have the same problem...Very weak bluetooth signal from the smart shunt, it cannot network with my MPPT 100/30. What's up with that?
0 Likes 0 ·
14 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

victronlfs avatar image
victronlfs answered ·

Not an answer, but a confirmation. I've noticed the SmartShunt range appears to be much shorter than other Victron smart devices. I have the 100/30 Smart MPPT. My Samsung Note 9 can connect to it & display information from inside the house while it's outside, but I have to be quite close to the SmartShunt to connect. In my case, I'm wondering if due to location in my Van's battery box, next to the battery is causing interferance? I haven't researched the Bluetooth tx specs on either device to compare, but that might shed light on the differences.

1 comment
2 |3000

lawrence-craig avatar image
lawrence-craig answered ·

I am having the same issue. I need to be right next to the SmartShunt (about 1m) to get a response yet the two MPPT controllers which are next to the shunt, I can be at least 4m away.

2 |3000

Alex Winthorst avatar image
Alex Winthorst answered ·

I have the same issue with my Smartshunt 500A. I first thought it was due to the location in the camper but after improving the location the bluetooth range stays very limited. It seems like the bluetooth antenna is limits the range. Has anyone experience with a bluetooth range extender?

2 |3000

2624luis avatar image
2624luis answered ·

@Paul Green, like others here just confirming your issue... Not a real answer to the problem...

I have the smartshunt installed on my 37 ft 5th wheel, under the bed, so there is no metal or other structure blocking the signal, I can only get 10 ft from it... Terrible, especially for a hardwired Bluetooth device that you don't need to worry

This is my first Victron product, I really hoped for a premium product with well-developed functions, there is nothing smart here other than the weak Bluetooth communication. The smartphone app is also lacking, the windows software won't connect to Bluetooth devices...

Victron does not yet have the Bluetooth thing figured out yet, a shame. If 4 meters (~12ft) is the best they will go like @Lawrence Craig mentioned, Victron still has a lot to develop to get a solid Bluetooth product.

Speakers and headphones I can get 40-50 ft away without any obstruction...
My propane tank sensor is inside a metal box, and I can read them anywhere inside my trailer, 30-35 ft away...

My "LevelMate" is inside the trunk of the trailer and I can read it without any problems from inside of the cabin of the truck... Lots of metal and at least 35ft away...

The latest two devices are battery-powered (coin cell style) and the battery lasts 3-6 months, working 24/7.

Hope they can fix that via firmware...

2 |3000

Paul Green avatar image
Paul Green answered ·

I fixed my problem - but I had to buy the Victron VE Direct Bluetooth device to do so. Normally this device is sold as an addon for Victron devices that dont have any BT capabilities.

it cost about $50 and it just plugs in to the SmartShunt. It has a long cord but I found it powerful enough to mount it a few feet from the Shunt and receive a solid BT signal throughout my RV.

Not a great answer I realize, but it works.

2 |3000

kevine avatar image
kevine answered ·

Hello

I have just installed the smartshunt 2021-04-25 and have the same problem.

I was hoping there was some hardware improvements that corrected the problem.

My charge controller and Bluetooth temp sensor both communicate at a reasonable range but the shunt has a very limited range.

I was investigating if it could share the state of charge in the bluetooth network and the see sate of charge when the charge controller but it appears that it not possible.

It is a little frustrating and disappointing when for the price of this device you would expect a reasonable Bluetooth range to other devices.

I will keep investing and see if there is a way to improve the range on this device.

Keep you posted.

Kevin.E

2 |3000

goneftn avatar image
goneftn answered ·

I have the same issue and on searching the Internet it seems it is a common problem. The manual says you have to be within 20m (66ft)! I have to be within 1m (3ft). This seems to be a manufacturing fault because I have many other Bluetooth devices that are very cheap and go about 10m. I think Victron should be giving out free upgrades to make the product work as advertised and what is a reasonable expectation for the performance of a Bluetooth product in the market.

2 |3000

westen avatar image
westen answered ·

Same problem here.

Just ordered a Victron VE Direct Bluetooth device to solve the issue.

Set me back 50eu or something.

This doesn't make me happy, Victron-guys . . .

2 |3000

glenn-west avatar image
glenn-west answered ·

I just installed one and sorry I did. It is on my rv and can only use it directly above it. Is there a bluetooth range extender that will help? There are many on Amazon

2 |3000

victronlfs avatar image
victronlfs answered ·

Like others answered, I installed the Victron VE Direct Bluethooth. Here's my writeup: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/98360/improving-smartshunt-bluetooth-range-amateur-resul.html

2 |3000

kilojulius avatar image
kilojulius answered ·

I can't believe I'm typing this. In a manufacturer Forum, thread is a year old. No answer from Victron.

My 500A/50mV shunt is showing with one bar when within 1 METER distance. And then it connects randomly.

FYI...not more and not less.

2 |3000

pasayten avatar image
pasayten answered ·

On their data sheet...

The shunt and the electric cables do negatively

influence the range of the Bluetooth signal. The

resulting range of 10-15 meter is however

satisfactory in most cases.

The proximity of other electrically conducting

elements, such as the metal chassis of a vehicle or

seawater around the hull if a boat, may reduce the

range of the Bluetooth signal to an unacceptable

level. The solution in such a case is to add a

VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle (ASS030536011) to the

system, and to switch off Bluetooth in the

SmartShunt

2 |3000

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Well I'll update this tread and add my 2¢ to the discussion.

A few days ago I bought and installed an IP65 SmartShunt to monitor my travel trailer's two house batteries. From the app I can connect to the shunt from about 30 feet away.

By connect I mean I can launch VictronConnect and see from the Device List the basic live reporting information sent from the shunt. So far so good. It's doing what I hoped it would do.

That said however, what I can't do from that distance is enter into the shunt's next section in the app to edit the shunts various settings. The app will try to re-connect a few times but fails then stalls. So to fully connect and edit I have to be within a few feet of the device. Not ideal but I figure once it's set up properly I should be good. Time will tell.

Now whether that can be called a 'fix' corrected by a firmware update in the last few years since this tread started I have no way of knowing. All I know is it does what I wanted it to do and that is monitor the battery's state whether it be from my within my home or from within the trailer while we're travelling out and about.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic