question

wayneh avatar image
wayneh asked

Cerbo GX & BMV-712

I am just setting up a system in a self-build camper/RV. I have a Multiplus (12/2000/80) with DMC, Smartsolar 100/20 and BMV-712, all of which I want to connect to the Cerbo GX. I hadn't planned on the Cerbo GX initially, but the dealer told me about it when I was buying the other kit so I added it in without much research. When I started to research it came to light that I no longer needed the DMC for the Multi plus, and in fact if you connect it in you lose the option of setting current limits or switching the MP to 'Charger Only' mode via the Cerbo screen. I also thought that I didnt need the BMV-712 screen and that I could just conncet the shunt directly into the Cerbo GX, however it seems the shunt has an RJ12 connection and it is looking like I will have to wire the shunt to the BMV-712 screen and then back with a VE.direct cable to the Cerbo GX - is this correct? It seems a little silly to be wiring in the BMV screen when all the information will be on the Cerbo GX screen.

cerbo gxBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is true that you need to connect the BMV-712 to the shunt and then the BMV-712 to the Cerbo. These need to work together, the shunt is "dumb".
Perhaps you should consider the Victron Smart Shunt which doesn't have a display and connects directly to the Cerbo.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt

Do you really need a CerboGX? You could get a VenusGX which has less connectivity than the Cerbo, but will service your current requirements perfectly.

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/venus-gx

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wayneh avatar image
wayneh answered ·

Thanks WKirby - I probably don't need the CerboGX but I have it now and its quite cool. I have bought level floats for the water tanks, I have plans to wire a relay to it to switch on and off the water pump and it does away with the need for the DMC.

Given you are an Expert, you might be able to help me with another question - my gas/LPG tank will have a 0-90 ohm level gauge. I know the tank ports are programmed to accept standard European or US resistance, but can I program a port to the resistance of the gas tank level indicator?

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Custom tank sensor resistance ranges are not available in the current stable release v2.57
I run the release candidate version of Venus and custom tank resistances are available, so I would think this will be available in the next stable version.

You can run the release candidate version if you want to, but running test versions can be risky as they might not be stable.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:beta-testing

0 Likes 0 ·