question

mbad avatar image
mbad asked

EasySolar-II 48/3000/35-32 MPPT 250/70 GX overheating MPPT on full solar load

I have installed the "new" EasySolar-II 48/3000/35-32 MPPT 250/70 GX where everything is in one chassis.

When solar side is running on full power (70A) after 2-3 hours I always get a MPPT Charger Alarm "Overheat Charger Connection" (translated from german "Überhitzung Ladegerätanschluss").

When I reduce the max power to 55A via Victron Connect all is fine. When I move to 60/65/70A I get the error when on full load for 2-3 hours.

Looking into the chassis I can see that a complete MPPT 25/70 was installed in the chassis without any modification. The MPPT easily can go up to 40-50°C on full load.

From my perspective this is a design issue of the full box, because the heat can not be sufficiently transported out of the chassis.

For testing purposes I put an external fan below the MP chassis and then it continuous working without a shutdown - what proves my assumption.

Any similar experience? Is there a way to give the MP back to Victron?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
yannick avatar image
yannick answered ·

What is the temperature in the room where the unit is installed? If there is a high ambient temperature, this could be the problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mbad

Can you please check if the cables to the MPPT don't overheat? check if all connections are tight.
This shouldn't happen of course, but please check to make sure.

2 |3000

mbad avatar image
mbad answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) the MPPT is in the Victron integrated:

Cables are tight.

Room temperature on a sunny day between 25-30°C.

I have a 2nd installation with MP 48/5000 and external MPPT 250/85 that has no issues in the same room.

So for me looks like a design issue putting the MPPT into the Easysolar-ii.

1594672961051.png (3.0 MiB)
8 comments
2 |3000

mbad avatar image mbad commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) are there any other customers with similar experience? Can you check with the Victron team?

If not what would be the process e.g. to replace the MP? It's just 4 months old.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mbad

Yes I've just asked internally, will update if I have answers.

In what orientation is the unit mounted?

0 Likes 0 ·
mbad avatar image mbad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) the device is mounted in the way it should be. Top on Top ... So not rotated.

My dealer checked this initially and from outside all cabling was fine. We have not opened the front cover to check any inside cables (does this not break warranty?).

The "fun" thing is that the error only occurs on "full load". Means when the MPPT inside is running 2-3 hours with full 70A load from the solar panels.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mbad

do you have pictures of the installation?

removing the cover does not break warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·
mbad avatar image mbad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Sure @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff).

Here's one from the initial wall installation:

Three cables coming from 3x4 Solar panels:

2nd MPPT 150/35 hooked directly to the battery port (this is the 2nd cable on the battery connection)

0 Likes 0 ·
1595343042782.png (1.2 MiB)
1595343393011.png (3.6 MiB)
marekp avatar image marekp mbad commented ·

Is this unit not mounted to close to the wall on the left and to the cabinet on the right. There should be minimum 10cm on each side.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mbad

It's about the connections to the MPPT unit inside the box, not the external connections.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mbad

did you remove the front cover to check connections at the MPPT? the error message is about the temperature at the cable connections on the MPPT.

next step would be to contact your dealer to resolve this.

0 Likes 0 ·