question

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith asked

Output noise on Victron SMART BlueSolar Charge Controller

I would like to use a Victron SMART BlueSolar Charge Controller this year for recharging my lithium batteries via solar. I use them for portable radio comms sometimes for upto three days. I know Genasun make a lithium charger that is suitable ie RF silent. I can not find any noise / ripple figures for the Smart range. Would anyone know what the output noise is ?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Naturally an MPPT has, in essence, a switching power supply within. I don't know what frequency this operates at, 50 -100KHz at a wild guess. I could see what I can do to find out.
I don't have a spectrum analyser or a VNA, just a lowly 'scope and a microwave counter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rtsmith avatar image rtsmith commented ·

I would be very interested in the noise ripple. The DC - DC converters are very silent, just cant see anything on the solar chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

You could probably use smoothing capacitors to eliminate switching noise.

2 |3000

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

Nothing replied too, wonder if Victron would be able to offer advice

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello RTSmith,

There are two good suggestions from other members of the community for ways to reduce noise:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6205/rf-noise-from-150-60-solar-charger.html

2 |3000

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

I only see one option of adding a huge 4" ferrite Guy. I am really interested in how noisey they are. Surely with Victrons EMC / RFI facility this figure would be known ?

2 comments
2 |3000

The noise is a function of the installation. It depends on solar panel arrays and wiring configuration.

0 Likes 0 ·
rtsmith avatar image rtsmith Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

The solar charger will ultimately be responsible for ripple / noise EMC / RFI . Why does it feel like im being avoided. Its a simple question and by the looks of your other posts with their testing facility surely it should be known ? Or am i missing the point.

0 Likes 0 ·
rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

Can not believe in this day and age with the fantastic test facility victron have, this simple question cant be answered. The question is being dodged for reasons only victron know.

What a frustrating experience this has turned out to be.

2 |3000

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

Any luck Guy ? Hows it going with this one ?

2 |3000

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

How about this week Guy, any chance of an answer ?

2 |3000

rtsmith avatar image
rtsmith answered ·

How about this week, guy ? Any chance ?

2 |3000

dwin avatar image
dwin answered ·

I spent a few hours today trying to tame down my 2 x 100-30 controllers. I'm actually an EMC engineer, and have, even at home, a number of ferrites to try.

My situation is 4 panels on a sailing catamaran, feeding a Li-Fe battery bank of 300Ah.

I have pretty much the standard COM stuff on this boat, which was only acquired 6 weeks ago.

HF/SSB; both marine and amateur (I'm an extra class); plus AIS Class B; plus VHF marine; plus even an airband Tx/Rx unit. That one is a mess when the solar is active. Worst case, since its AM, not FM.

So, even without my work spectrum analyzer with me; testing does show the feeds from the PV panel are the RF hot cables. Not so much with the DC output cables. And, I've basically run out of ferrites to try with my current inventory. (have 6 on these POS and NEG wires now. They do help, but I'm not there yet. I may well take a dozen turns on a large core. btw, at VHF frequencies, you do need to worry with TOO MANY turns, since turn to turn capacitive coupling will force diminishing returns on your effort.

I'd sure like to see the test set up and the rad emissions report on this product family. I would expect/hope, it was tested to CSPR11 Class B, for residential use, WITH significant power from a simulated or actual solar array. With low power levels, the unwanted emissions will also go down. So, its needs to be tested with 25 to 30Amps output! I spend a fair amount of time in semi-anechoic RF chambers, and know my way around this test exercise.

Anyway, more to follow. I really don't want to dig into the actual unit, but for the good of humanity, I may need to. :)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic