question

sunshine avatar image
sunshine asked

victron 175w mono SPM041751200max fuse rating /reverse current

SPM041751200 victron

looking for the max fuse rating of these panels if anyone can find it I have searched internet with no result.

using 3 x 175 wired in parallel in a small system

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
benl avatar image
benl answered ·

(I realise this is old, and it's unfortunate Victron haven't responded... but if anyone else finds this)

Every panel must be rated to handle 2x its rated current (*). Unless the panel manufacturer states otherwise, you should assume that's the fault current rating too. Thus for >2 panels you really should have fuses rated at the panel spec in line with each panel, for your case 3 x 10A fuses.

(*) for panels rated to X Amps, a fuse inline with the panel must be >= X for uninterrupted operations. The 'worst case' minimum fault current should the panel develop an absolute worst-case fault with only one parallel panel could therefore be 2X: X from the panel's own cells' power generation, and X from the second panel. Thus every panel _must_ be rated to handle at least 2x without catching on fire (panels from dodgy manufacturers excepted). Ideally it'd be rated higher, but unless the manufacturer tells you, it would be problematic to assume as much.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benl avatar image
benl answered ·

Huh, so I looked at my panels (which are the polycrystalline version of the same panel, SPP041751200): the fuse rating is printed on the label: 15A

victron-panel.jpg

victron-panel.jpg (205.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic