question

brokerdon avatar image
brokerdon asked

SmartShunt + Temperature Sensor wiring [SOLVED]

Our SmartShunt 500A is working GREAT in our 2011 Winnebago View 24K RV with dual 6V 232Ah Energizer flooded cell "golf cart" batteries connected in series. Our SmartShunt was installed per Step 5 of Victronโ€™s Quick Install Guide with the (RED single wire with fuse) power cable connected between the positive battery terminal and the SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quick-Install-Guide-SmartShunt-EN.pdf

HOWEVER, I want to add a Victron Temperature Sensor for BMV-702/712 (Part Number ASS000100000) but need answers to these QUESTIONS:

1. Do I REPLACE this RED power cable that's inserted in SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal in Step 5 with the RED wire of the Victron Energy Temperature Sensor for BMV-702/712 (Part Number ASS000100000) shown in Step 8 that I also purchased?

OR do install BOTH the (RED single wire with fuse) power cable that came with the SmartShunt shown in Step 5 AND the RED wire of the Victron Energy Temperature Sensor shown in Step 8 into the SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal?

2. IF I ONLY install the RED wire of the Victron Energy Temperature Sensor into the SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal, HOW DO I REMOVE the (RED single wire with fuse) power cable I inserted in Step 5 from the SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal? I doesn't seem to want to come out, even by inserting a paper clip into the small hole adjoining the SmartShunt Vbatt+ terminal.

Please answer BOTH the above questions at your earliest convenience so I can install the Victron Energy Temperature Sensor correctly.

Thanks!

BMV Battery MonitorTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ยท

1. You need to remove the existing red wire, the red wire of the temperature sensor replaces the existing red wire. This is explained in section 3.4.3 of the manual:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-SmartShunt-EN.pdf

2. To release the existing red wire, use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the orange part of the green connector inwards.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brokerdon avatar image brokerdon commented ยท

Thanks!

Our Victron dealer sent me the same response via email this morning:

The temperature sensor wiring replaces the power wire included in the SmartShunt kit; per Step 8 as you mention, the red fused wire from the temperature sensor is now the power supply wire and plugs into the B1 port, and the black wire plugs into the B2 port and you'll be good to go (though you will of course need to configure the SmartShunt to read temperature data from the auxiliary port).

To release the existing power supply wire, you will need to press the orange locking button down (it's small, so I recommend using a small flathead screwdriver) and, when it is fully pressed down, pull the existing power supply wire out. Obviously please ensure that the power supply wire has been disconnected from the battery prior to doing this.

Best Regards,

Justin Cook

Technical Support Manager

Bay Marine Supply

https://baymarinesupply.com

0 Likes 0 ยท
twase avatar image twase brokerdon commented ยท

Hi all, I have a smart shunt and the ASS000100000 sensor as per the bag label. If I wire it as per the diagram 8 (monitoring Battery Temperature) red to Vbatt+ and black to Aux. In this configuration there is not bluetooth activity light. I measured the sensor and it is open circuit from the terminal to either red or black lead. It has around 150K ohms between the leads, I am assuming its a thermistor or a semi conductor. Either way there is zero (meg ohms) conductivity from the terminal to power the smart shunt. If I apply Battery + to the Vbatt+ terminal the shunt powers up. Is the 150K ohms an indication I have received the wrong sensor or have I got a faulty sensor?

0 Likes 0 ยท
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ twase commented ยท
Have you checked the fuse?
0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources