question

newtowngal avatar image
newtowngal asked

How do I reduce idle power consumption of MPPT 75/10 ?

The specs for the MPPT 75/10 say it dissipates about 250 mW. I have an ultra low power application and this is a significant waste of power, especially when the sun isn't shining. My system knows when the sun is shining, so it could control the 75/10. How can I turn off the 75/10 during low light so power isn't wasted ? Is there another model that does not use so much power ?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

What about using a relay to disconnect the MPPT?

You can find "latching" relays that consume power only when changing state.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @NewtownGal

You could add a diode between battery and MPPT, but you'll have to account for the voltage drop, and have a diode that can dissipate the heat.

2 |3000

newtowngal avatar image
newtowngal answered ·

@Daniel: Doesn't the MPPT need a constant source of power ? I assume you're suggesting that the diode be oriented so power flows from the MPPT to the battery, but not vice-versa, so it would only have power when it gets it from the solar panel. And how could the MPPT monitor battery voltage to charge the battery properly if there's a diode in the way ?

@Kevin: I'm hoping I can send a command to the MPPT to enter a sleep state so its power consumption is almost nothing, rather than adding more circuitry, and then a wakeup command when the sun is shining.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @NewtownGal

diode:

charging is no problem, but the unit will of course switch off when no sun is available.
You ask for something non-standard, so there are downsides...

1 Like 1 ·
newtowngal avatar image newtowngal Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

How can the MPPT monitor the battery voltage to charge it properly if there's a diode between the MPPT and the battery, where the diode is oriented so it only allows current to flow from the MPPT to the battery ?

Since the MPPT is programmable, how about adding a sleep mode to it ? I would like to send a command to it to enter or leave sleep mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
garder avatar image
garder answered ·

Can Victron please handle and solve this question? It is a quite urgent problem. A large customer group in Norway evaluate to stop using the Victron MPPT due to high unesesary idle consume. It should not be to hard to make a FW uppgrade which make it possible to reduce the (high) power consume when there is no sun. Example reduce the MPPT tracking to once per 5minute when no sun for a hour, or a custom variable in the setting? It exist MPPT systems which consume less than 1/100 of what Victron have.

Thanks

2 |3000