question

jcee-bull avatar image
jcee-bull asked

Issues with different voltages input into victron regulator

I have a victron 100/30 regulator. My two roof panels supply 48v into the regulator.

I want to add in portable panels when the roof panels are in the shade, but these will be 24v input into the same regulator.

Any foreseeable issues with this setup?

victron productsvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

Not recommended.

If the roof panels receive full sunshine, you probably will get at some moment a reverse current flow from the 48V array into your 24V panel. The reverse current can be as high as the maximum current of the 48V array. If the reverse current is higher than the maximum allowed current of your 24V panel, it might destroy it, with risk of fire.

In case you want to do it anyway, add a fuse to each panel cable, about 1,5x the max short circuit current of the panel. And add a blocking diode to the 24V panel cable to avoid the reverse current.

When you have shadow on the 48V array, the MPPT voltage will be near the 24V of your flexible panel, which will reduce to half the output of your 48V array. When your 48V array receives sun, the MPPT voltage probably will get near 48V and leave your 24V panel without effect/contribution.

Better use an additional charge controller for the 24V panel, that will result in safer operation and higher yield.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic