question

alemanza avatar image
alemanza asked

BlueSolar 75/15 switching on/off charger by tx/rx port

Hi, is possible to drive, on the BlueSolar 75/15, the "charger on/off" function, by a fisically jumper or other ways on the gnd/RX/TX/5V port, instead of the VE.direct cable ? Charging my battery bank by solar and alternator, i need to switch of the solar charger to have not conflict in charging tension reading with engine running,i thought by a relay exitated by engine switch that drive the "charger on/off" function, not by softwere but by simply contact on pin. Thanks for help.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alemanza avatar image alemanza commented ·

Thanks meaver for your answer, i read the possibility on the manual, can you be so kind to explain me how give 0v or 5v to the RX pin. Thanks for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·
alemanza avatar image alemanza alemanza commented ·

May be gnd to RX = 0v, 5v to RX = 5v....??

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ alemanza commented ·

hi, a colleague has updated to manual to make it more clear; pls check again. Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
alemanza avatar image
alemanza answered ·

Hi, after reading i draw a diagram, off coarse i have to change the RX setting to Remote Charge control and viceversa every time i connect my device via USB, switching to OFF the togle switch to disconnect RX pin from +5V pin.Please let me know if it can work. I can use the VE.Direct non-inverting remote on-off cable, but i need to plug and unplug all the time i like to monitor the softwere, and due to the fragility of the mppt plug, not make sense if i can solve in other way. Thanks for your help.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Perhaps take one step back: why would you want to disable the mppt in the first place? What tension conflict are you trying to solve? I cant think of one - this is the first time I heard that someone needs to disable his mppt when the engine is running.

the diagram you made involves modifying standard cables and requires some careful consideration to not break something - I cant help you with that I’m afraid.

0 Likes 0 ·
alemanza avatar image
alemanza answered ·

Sure i have to disconnect the togle swith before plug my smartphone to the usb cable..or i fry my device...for that i understand your point of wiew like VE tecnician to not modified cable...thanks anyway for your apprecciated help.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, I dont see how you would fry any device. Its (normally) no problem to leave an mppt connected while charging also with the engine-alternator.

why do you think you have to disconnect the mppt?

0 Likes 0 ·
alemanza avatar image
alemanza answered ·

Could be that i have some problem, but running the alternator at night no problem, in day light it sense the mppt output and not only not charge ( that is normal due to the SOC of the battery ) but draw 1 amp....that why i thought to disconnect the mppt in a remote control way.

2 comments
2 |3000

That could also be a measurement error; or an installation error.

It should be no problem that the MPPT is connected in day light while the engine is running.

There are thousands (millions!) of such installations with an MPPT and other charge sources at the same time - and no one is making solutions to disable the MPPT when the engine is running.

So, I really recommend to solve the underlying problem; (and maybe there is no problem; just a false reading on some device) instead of making a work around

0 Likes 0 ·
alemanza avatar image alemanza mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I will investigate, if nobody had problem, i have something wrong...thanks for your support.

0 Likes 0 ·