question

Derek Gaeth avatar image
Derek Gaeth asked

canbus isolation on MPPT solar charger

I am connecting a Venus GX to 4 x 150/100 MPPT VECan solar charger controllers on a positive ground 48v bus system. The GX controller is running off a seperate 12v power supply via an Orion isolated DC/DC charger. Do I need to use a canbus isolation module between the GX and the MPPTs? I am presuming not, but thought I would check.

Cheers, Derek

MPPT ControllersVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @decsnz

The RJ45 ve.CAN port on the GX device is isolated.

But please do care about the positive grounding because the solar input negative is connected to the battery negative, so make sure PV negative is not earthed.

also make sure if you have multiple VE.Bus inverters they should always be connected on the DC negative bus to prevent damage to the VE.Bus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

silverfox avatar image
silverfox answered ·

@Derek Gaeth You mention a canbus isolation module. Is there a specific device you had in mind? From my understanding of my Cerbo GX, its CANBUS is not isolated. I'd like to isolate the CANBUS on my Cerbo GX for safety in connecting to my DIY batteries.

What canbus isolation module were you considering?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic