question

wolfskin avatar image
wolfskin asked

Connecting a Generator to Easysolar IIGX

Hi guys,

I'm scared...

I have connected a cable to my Easysolar IIGX ready to connect a generator for supplemental charging on cloudy days when I still want to run bigger energy draining appliances. I am confident with my wiring, and have connected to the correct 'AC in' (as per manual). Now that it is time to test the generators charging capacity I realise there is very little info surrounding this in the associated literature. I do not know what to expect to see upon successful charging?

The manual also states in section 4.1.7-4.1.9

PowerControl – maximum use of limited AC power

The product can supply a huge charging current. This implies heavy loading of the AC mains or generator. Therefore a maximum current can be set. The product then takes other power users into account, and only uses 'surplus' current for charging purposes.

and...

Programmable

All settings can be changed with a PC and free of charge software, downloadable from our website www.victronenergy.com

. See this manual for more information - https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html

I am wondering if it should be ok to start my generator with whatever 'factory settings' are in the unit...as I have not Installed/used VEConnect in setting up the unit...only the 'Victron connect' app which gives very limited adjustment to the system? (battery voltage, float/absorbtion etc...)

It is a very simple system, 6xPV's with one 48V Lithium battery only...and is working very well.

I do not want to hurt the unit, it being my 'off-grid' full time supply.

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Wolfskin

You won't hurt your Easy, but there's other factors to consider. Might depend on the size of your genny as to whether you have success with the default settings. There's a bit here on gennys, especially if you have issues with acceptance: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

You may well need VEConfigure to set it up correctly in the 'Multi' section of your unit. Especially with ac-input limit, and possibly charge limit.

But you could try it to see how you go. If you hear the transfer relay in the Easy working more than once or twice, then it'll be time to delve more deeply into the settings.

If you have ac loads happening at the same time, then that will add to the charge load, and your genny mightn't like it. But try it, see how you go.

Don't bother if you only have a pissant genny, they'll work only with the right settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wolfskin avatar image
wolfskin answered ·

Thank you very much JohnC. I appreciate your time in reply.

I am in a Rural locale, and access to a trained Victron rep is difficult and expensive. I will have another look at the software, and if I feel confident will have a go...with more posts here beforehand probably.

I will read your links, and am already aware of the sort of Gen issues that some users have including dirty power. I am more concerned with my own generator being 6.5kva...and well able to kick.

Thank you again.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Wolfskin

Your genny is big enough not to be worried by the charger draw of your Easy. And handle loads as well (within reason) through the Easy.

Summon the courage and plug it in. Go on.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

When you use the Victron Connect app are you going into the EasySolar or just the MPPT?

2 |3000