I have:

• Cerbo GX
  • MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48
  • Pylontech battery
  • SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/85 rev2

And I set it up for ESS:

• https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom
  • https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

And I think most of it works. But the MPPT is not charging the battery. I have no idea where to look for the problem. There are so many settings. Maybe someone can help me. A few screenshots:

I am happy to provide more information but I am not sure what is helpful.

There are 4000W of solar panels connected. Which works. They were on another inverter before. But it only shows something around 20W now? Strangely it is not 0?

MPPT ControllersPylontech
not-charging-2.png (29.2 KiB)
not-charging.png (21.2 KiB)
not-chargin-3.png (18.2 KiB)
ess.png (24.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The first thing I see is that your inverter is in passthru mode.

Try disabling the Grid Meter Installed setting and see if that changes things.

You can see other causes of Passthru in Q4 of the ESS FAQ.

Also please confirm what firmware versions of the MPPT and MultiPlus you are using.

The minimum firmware version requirements are listed in the Pylontech Victron manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ebber avatar image
ebber answered ·

Hi, thanks.

I suppose Passthru is ok because the battery is empty, as also stated in Q4. And it used battery power before the battery was empty. So this part seems to work.

All the devices are new. But I also updated all the firmwares, or so I thought.

• Cerbo GX v2.54, above 2.42 ok
  • MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 v459, should be 469? But it also says something about 422? Did I understand correctly that I have to buy a 70€ cable to update a brand new device?
  • SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/85 rev2 v1.06, should be over 1.50? but I updated this, there is no newer version? is this right?

firmware.png (17.3 KiB)
2 |3000

ebber avatar image
ebber answered ·

Sorry, I forgot, I did disable the Grid Meter setting. Then the Multi charged the battery from the grid to the 20% which were set in the settings. But now still no solar charging:

disabledmeter.png (29.6 KiB)
meteroff.png (28.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ebber

As Guy is going on holiday, he asked me to take over helping you with this system.

I've taken the liberty of looking into your systems VRM, and because I don't see the MPPT connected now, after sunset, I think the MPPT is not connected to the battery somehow (fuse open or wiring issue)

I'll contact you by email to try and further assist you.

2 |3000

chrisw66 avatar image
chrisw66 answered ·

May we please get an update on this situation, I am having the same issues.

seems our mppt starts to ramp up then cuts out at 75w / .8A then stops restarts and after a few attempts times out.

smartsolar 100/20

multiplus ii 48/3000 35-32

Pylontech 3000us x 2

bmv 712

regards

2 |3000

rolfniem avatar image
rolfniem answered ·

Was this issue ever solved. I have the same problem. Charging ramps up nicely and then randomly stops. Powering the entire system down and restarting does not help. The MPPT will only start charging again the next morning then randomly stops again.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jona Aal avatar image Jona Aal commented ·
Would like an update on this as well

0 Likes 0 ·