question

Deon avatar image
Deon asked

EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 MPPT 150/100 - Noisy Fans - 80dB!

I have an EasySolar 48V 5000VA, installed 30 days ago. It fans, from day one, are extremely noisy. With an uncalibrated phone based noise meter, the EasySolar sound measurements are:

1 - OFF / Silence - 20dB

2 - At my workspace - 50dB (EasySolar fans at full speed)
( 5 meters from
the Easysolar)

3 - 1m from blue encl. - 60dB (fans at full speed)
from the EasySolar)

4 - Outside the encl. - 80dB (fans at full speed)
(5cm from hot air outlet)

The current fan JF1238B2HR-R, gives a spec of 43.5dB, which means the position of fans in the blue enclosure is the reason for the noise.

I have not yet opened the enclosure to understand why it makes such a noise. It is not bearing noise, just the fan air noise.

Replacement Fan: I need some advice - I read here than some has replaced the fans with the a Noctua equivalent, which has much as lower noise spec? Was it worth the effort?

I guess replacing these fans myself will affect the warranty?

My alternative is the cost and effort to have the EasySolar moved to another room, with the lengthening of the wires.

Sound meter measurements

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Deon avatar image Deon commented ·

Dear Daniël, any news?

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Deondr

any chance something is touching the fan? making extra noise?
Can you make a recording / video of the noise?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Deon avatar image
Deon answered ·

Dear Daniël

I can make a video and sound recording. We unfortunately had no sun today and the unit work at very low capacity. It is however not a fan or manufacturing defect, it is a normal air flow sound, just much loader than I would have expected.

Hopefully I can do a recording tomorrow.

regards

Deon

2 |3000

Deon avatar image
Deon answered ·

Hi Daniël, have made the video, where do I sent it or you can pick up file here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtGr6e7HMpSgk6BsH40J8O1DK9jdQg?e=25SJtI

The last few seconds are unfortunately the air flow on the mic and not normal.

2 |3000

Deon avatar image
Deon answered ·

Dear Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) Below is a further video with the contrasting Ambient noise levels https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtGr6e7HMpSgk6B-vnzLN9rxgEP7Qw?e=3dbc6H

2 |3000

Deon avatar image
Deon answered ·
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Did you get any further response from Victron?

2 |3000

Sergio Cano Lopez avatar image
Sergio Cano Lopez answered ·

Any solution to this?

I am going to install an identical piece of equipment and now I am afraid that it will be too noisy and I am about to find another location.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Just a possibility - In one of the last few Firmware updates there was a fix for noise output occuring on some units, so if the unit is NOT on fw 494 yet I would upgrade it to 494 and then see if you still have the same issue or read through the fw change logs

2 |3000

popnic avatar image
popnic answered ·

@Deon. This is not an answer to your problem directly.

I have same fan noise issue with my new MP2 48 5000.

As i see from different pictures, from mechanical point of view the fan is attach firmly to the housing without any damping so any noise and vibration from fan is transmitted to housing components.

The noise that is annoying is not form air flow but from the fan motor. The fan is generating noise and vibration because of the very primitive PWM control and lac of filtering. Actually we can hear fast switching form 0 to 24V with PWM frequency from fan motor.

Hope this is the only design issue with Multiplus II.

2 |3000

lackland avatar image
lackland answered ·

Same with my new MP2 48 5000. The noise from moving air would be fine on its own. The annoyance comes from a whine which moves up & down in frequency as the load on the inverter/charger varies, and seems to resonate through the case.

I thought I might have a fan with a bad bearing but the explanation about PWM makes sense.

2 |3000