question

meshugga avatar image
meshugga asked

BatteryProtect - 220AMP - reset time

The nominal power draw on my 24v bow thruster is 500 A. Generally only used for about 30 seconds at a time, which is within the 600A intermittent range. However, if the BatteryProtect does trip, seems that it takes 90 seconds to reconnect. In a tight mooring situation with side winds, this is obviously completely unacceptable, and thus I should not install this unit.

Is my conclusion correct or have I misunderstood something here?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Meshugga

Where did you read it can withstand 600A for that long?

I did find that it should reconnect after 30 seconds:
"Load reconnect delay 30 seconds" but maybe it has to cool down first after the overload?

I wouldn't use a 220A device for such high current that has to be sustained if needed. I'd connect the battery directly and use a Battery Protect output to the control relay so it disconnects the relay signal instead of the high current path.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

meshugga avatar image meshugga commented ·

HI Daniel. Thanks for the response.

Got my info from the datasheet:

* Peak current (during 30 seconds) 600A

* Load disconnect delay 90 seconds (immediate if triggered by the VE.Bus BMS)

* Load reconnect delay 30 seconds

A question on your recommendation: How would the BP activate if it is only connected to the small control relay current? Seems to me it is essentially just a circuit breaker.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ meshugga commented ·

Hi @Meshugga

Ah yes I found it now (the 30 seconds)

reconnect time is 30 seconds, not 90, so yes you'd have to wait 30 seconds. Thus I'd not use it like that.

if you connect the relay control input to the output of the BP, it will disable the bowthruster when battery gets too low, as I think you want to do?

Please also note: a 500A bowthruster can have a peak start current that is -much- higher than that, so it would disconnect right away or damage the BP...

0 Likes 0 ·
meshugga avatar image meshugga Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok, got it now. The BP disconnect is thus activated by the BMS.

Makes sense. Thanks for educating me.

0 Likes 0 ·