question

lshantz avatar image
lshantz asked

Cerbo GX wiring details

I know this product is very new, but I am struggling to find the optimal way to connect this unit up to the other products. I have the Victron Multiplus, Smart Solar MPPT, the BMV-712 with Shunt, and the new Cerbo GX with the little HDMI monitor. I have very little instruction to go on, to properly/optimally wire this all together. maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ยท

Designing and installing such a system safely is not a project that should be attempted without a basic understanding of high current DC and high voltage AC systems. Your safety and that of users of the system should not be taken lightly. Risk of equipment damage and even fire in an improperly designed and installed system is also high. May I suggest you consult a system designer/installer familiar with Victron and the type of system you plan to set up.

I fitted a 2000 watt inverter, LFP battery bank and MPPT solar charger to my travel trailer, completely replacing the previous DC and AC distribution systems, but I am an electronics engineer and had a good feel for high current and line voltage systems and safety.

There are many example systems at the main Victron site. Here's a basic one that shows a 3KW system and 24-volt series/parallel battery bank and solar input. The Cerbo and Touch 50 can be considered a direct replacement for the Color Control GX shown in this drawing.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-system-example-3KW-24V-120V-AC.pdf

There is lots of collective knowledge here but it is difficult to make recommendations without more information about your system:

1) Which Multiplus? Is this a split-phase, 3-phase system? Are Multis in parallel?

2) What is your battery bank: size, type, series/parallel connection?

3) How much solar energy?

4) What type of system? E.g., off grid, RV/boat, "Energy Storage System"?

If you have the option, consider returning the BMV-712 and getting the SmartShunt since you really don't need the display on the 712 when you are using a GX device like Cerbo.

I also suggest you bench test each component and program it prior to wiring up the system. It's much more difficult to isolate a problem when everything is connected as a system. You'll need some adapter cables (VeBus to USB and possibly VeDirect to USB) plus some computer/tablet software to do the programming. If the seller offers to preprogram the devices for you, take them up on it to get you started.

Good luck and come back here with questions as they come up.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lshantz avatar image lshantz commented ยท

Thanks for the reply. You state "The Cerbo and Touch 50 can be considered a direct replacement for the Color Control GX shown in this drawing."

This is not correct, in that the Color Control GX has the connections on the screen and the new Cerbo has all the connections on it, and the screen has only the HDMI/USB connect. It is very very different. Maybe the disconnect is, where is the "example" schematics for the Cerbo GX? Is it too new? Is that coming?

1. Victron MultiPlus inverter & charger. 3000 Watts, 12 Volts
DC, 120 Volts AC, 120 Amp charger. PMP123021102

2. I'm using 2 200Ah LifeBlue Lipo 12 volt batteries, in parallel.

3. 4 REC Alpha Series 365 Watt, 120 half-cut cells,
monocrystalline module with MC4 connectors. Vmp: 38.0,
Imp: 9.6, Voc: 44.3, Isc: 10.26, 67.8" x 40" x 1.2" (30mm)

That comes out to about 1460watts.

4. This is in an RV. So it consists of external 50Amp power, A genset and the batteries. I have removed the chassis batteries from the system entirely. The alternator no longer is connected to the house system. I have spent over $5,000 replacing all the 12 volt components after the alternator went rogue and pumped 36 volts into the system. Destroying everything.

While I have a very good idea how to connect all the components, it would be nice to see a schematic for best practices. The system was installed by a non certified installer and then after we learned that the older system did not support tank levels without paying an additional $1,000, I had to change to the Cerbo GX which does support tank levels. Hopefully that helps clarify. I'm very sorry I did not include more detail in my first post. I know it is frustrating to try to help people with incomplete info.

I went and printed out the link to the schematic that you said was basically a drop in replacement. One thing I have seen there and other places is sending the battery temp all the way up to the Multiplus instead of to the BMV. Yet from what I can read the BMV-712 Smart is blue tooth enabled and can have the temp sent directly to the shunt, which then gets passed on to the MPPT controller etc. So which is preferable?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem lshantz commented ยท

The sensor Victron supplies with the Multi does not work with the BMV. You'd need to buy the optional one specifically made for it. BUT: With LFPs you don't need a temperature sensor at all.

0 Likes 0 ยท
lshantz avatar image lshantz Kevin Windrem commented ยท

The BMV-712 Came with one I thought.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem lshantz commented ยท

The on-line data sheet and manual both say the temperature sensor is an option but maybe that's changed, or it was included as part of your system purchase.

In any case, temperature compensation should be disabled for LFP batteries since their target voltages do not vary with temperature.

0 Likes 0 ยท
lshantz avatar image lshantz Kevin Windrem commented ยท

Really! That is something new to me. I had not heard that. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ยท
childcarepro avatar image childcarepro commented ยท

Hey Kevin, thanks for this link. It was VERY helpful as it is nearly identical to my setup, though substituting Cerbo GX/GX Touch for the CCGX.

Can you help me understand the two sets of AC outputs on the Multiplus 24/3000/70? No-break vs switched loads? Thanks a bunch.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem childcarepro commented ยท

AC out 1 on the Multi is active whether or not AC input is present. Victron calls this "no break".

AC out 2 switches off when there is no AC input. The logic is that you connect loads that do not need to be powered from batteries to AC out 2 so they will power down and save batteries when no shore power is present.

The Multiplus Compact I used in my system does not have a second AC output but I believe all the other Multiplus, Multiplus II and EasyPlus and Quatro models do have AC out 2.

0 Likes 0 ยท