question

miya avatar image
miya asked

EasyPlus 1600 and BMV 702 - Which Battery Monitor ?

Hi All

Can I sanity check something please...

The EasyPlus 1600 has a built in battery monitor - which can be disabled. My system has a BMV702 attached. So the internal battery monitor has been disabled - and the system is being 'battery monitored' by the BMV.

Is this correct - switch off battery monitoring in EasyPlus and let the BMV do the monitoring ?

Regards

Tim

BMV Battery MonitorEasyPlus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ยท

Yes the BMV can do the monitoring, however the Easy plus can't do anything with the data even when connected via a GX device. - If you haven't any DC loads/charging other than the easy plus then you can leave both monitors on without a problem.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miya avatar image miya commented ยท

Thanks Jwfrary.

You say "the Easy plus can't do anything with the data even when connected via a GX device"... can you help me understand this ?

I have the EasyPlus and BMV connected to a Venus GX - and have 5 MPPT charge controllers. They are all connected by either VE.Bus or VE Direct. I have switched battery monitor off - in the EasyPlus. In the Venus GX settings - I have set the BMV as the battery monitor.

If EasyPlus can't do anything with the data - how does the EasyPlus manage adaptive charging etc etc ?

Many thanks.

Tim

0 Likes 0 ยท
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary miya commented ยท

Tim,

the adaptive charging is done on voltage and hasnโ€™t anything to do with SOC.

you donโ€™t mention if your using ESS assistants that does change behaviours of the system as does DVCC if you are using that.

The thing you wonโ€™t be able to is use the assistants in the multi plus based on SOC. you will have to do that with the Venus GX in your case.
you also loose bulk protection based on SOC when the internal battery monitor is off. - however as you have other charge sources in the system you have to have this off.

Jon

0 Likes 0 ยท
miya avatar image miya jwfrary commented ยท

Hi Jon

Thanks for your help and time on this.

ESS and DVCC are both off.

One of the things that has made me ask the original question - is even after a very small discharge (say 3% of batteries) - the EasyPlus sits on Absorption for 8 hours - but I am expecting it to be 'adaptive' - and only be in absorption for a short time.

Any further advice welcomed !

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes 0 ยท
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ยท

Hi @Miya That is how I will do it as for me there should be only one source of "truth" and the bmv is likely ever so much more accurate being a dedicated battery monitor.

1 comment
2 |3000

miya avatar image miya commented ยท

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic