question

kimmo-paukku avatar image
kimmo-paukku asked

CCGX and Venus GX in the same CAN bus

HI Sirs,

Is it possible to use CCGX and Venus GX in same CAN bus ?

I have CCGX in my system, but my 3rd charge controller is connected via VE direct to USB and there is black outs every now and then. Also I would like to add temperature sensors to my setup.

So, Idea is to add Venus GX and connect 3rd charge controller to Venus via VE Direct. ( = 2 separate GX units)

For this, I guess I need battery info from Pylontech via CAN bus also for Venus GX, right ?

For monitoring I have to monitor these GX devices independently, OR use Grafana for monitor these units at the same time.

CCGX Color ControlVenus GX - VGX
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku commented ·

:) Any comments ? :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Yes you can by using the raspi in Kiosk mode hooked by WiFi or Ethernet.

This what i have done for a few clients of mine.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Venus devices cannot share information between themselves in any way. One Venus device is meant to be used in one system.
You cannot read the temperature sensors or MPPTs of a VenusGX on another CCGX by any means, not by CAN, Ethernet nor anything.

Adding another Venus device to your installation will only make another separate system which would then be monitored independently, but more importantly devices on that system would not contribute to calculations on the other system.

If you have a MultiPlus or Quattro, you could connect temperature sensors there to be read into the CCGX.
I'm not sure what you mean by the blackouts?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.