question

stevecounsell avatar image
stevecounsell asked

Using Excess Solar Power? USB to SmartSolar Charge Controller

Is it possible to connect a USB socket directly to a charge controller to get USB power during the day time? Possible use is where I don't have a battery bank in place yet want to charge mobile phones and iPad.

MPPT ControllersVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
maxxmanic avatar image
maxxmanic answered ·

One still needs a battery, even a small 12v SLA would do. Does your charge controller have a load terminal? You could wire a 12v usb charge port to it. If not you could wire the 12v usb charge port directly to the battery. On my 100/20 I like to use the load terminal when possible. This way you can see load power consumption and such. Wiring a plain 5v USB port to a 12v system with out the voltage step down electronics included in the 12v USB ports would be a bad idea.

Maybe a better idea is to use an automotive cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery or charge controller load terminal. Then use a USB charger for your car to charge your devices. Make sure it provides at least 2.4 amps for your iPad. Plus you can plug in other 12v cigarette lighter powered devices as well. A bit more flexible than USB alone. Youtube has videos on “ammo can” powerboxes that can help you out. That is what got me hooked on solar.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.