question

erick1974 avatar image
erick1974 asked

MPPT 100/50 - 1 PV input shorted from 3 available PV inputs?

I have installed an off-grid EasySolar 1600 with 24V battery (2x 12V) and 3 solar panels. I connected them to PV input 1, 2 and 3 of the EasySolar (MPTT 100) and sadly one panel connection was reversed and although it should be reversed polarity protected the input (of entire MPTT?) was blown. Saw the smoke coming out and smelled it, from which I draw the conclusion this was really burnt out. This was on PV input nr 2.

I disconnected this input but the other inputs seem to be working. As I have no more monitor (BMV7xx) in this system I cannot see the battery charging levels but I do see the bulk led on with the other PV inputs correctly connected. Is there an easy way to be sure it still works correctly?

Could it be that the 3 PV inputs are internally separated and separately fused so only PV input 2 is affected?

EasySolar All-in-Onemppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
erick1974 avatar image
erick1974 answered ·

After about 9 days I now have my own answer: batteries are dead/drained and not reloaded so there seems to be no separation on the solar inputs.

As the inputs should be reverse polarity protected and this did not work/function, does anybody know how this is handled regarding the warranty?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @EricK1974 Valid warranty claims are handled through the dealer that sold you the MPPT. The reverse polarity protection would likely have worked fine if there were only one string involved, however given there were two already connected, it likely resulted in your misfortune. Your dealer can best advise you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic