question

rmgalley avatar image
rmgalley asked

EasySolar 24/1600/40-16 inverter when supplying asymmetrical loads.

I’ve noticed when an old 900w hair dryer is running at full power the EasySolar runs quietly with a low level buzz. After a while the cooling fan will operate.

However when half power is selected the buzz from the EasySolar (transformers?) is most pronounced. I surmise the half power setting on the hair dryer is likely achieved by a thyristor chopping the current waveform in half.

Will any damage to the inverter ensue from this mode of operation? Are there implications for the longevity of the EasySolar if this type of load were to be sustained?

Reason tells me not to use the half power setting of the hair dryer. But it was only noticed by accident when temporarily depleting the battery charge while setting up the system.

My concern is, at a future date, I intend to use the inverter to power an air-source heat pump which has an ‘intelligent’ compressor mode to optimise efficiency.

My concern would be how the EasySolar’s inverter would handle the compressor (stated steady consumption 470 watt) if it provided an asymmetrical load when in ‘optimised’, reduced power consumption mode

Any advice please?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@rmgalley Some hair dryers use a triac/thyristor to regulate speed on the motor. It is the switching of this triac causing the chopping of the waveform that causes an awful sounding buzz in the Victron. Some fans and light dimmers have them as well.

As far as I am aware it does not harm the inverter as the Victron is a sine wave inverter, I have seen the triac in the device themselves be killed by square/modified wave inverters. In any case the hair dryer is not a sustained load.

Tiracs are a cheap way to regulate speed, if the 'intelligent' compressor is a decent quality it most likely has a better system inside it. It should have more of the same system used in the newer fridge and air con systems like a soft start circuit and a variable frequency drive, which is not a problem on the Victron.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.