question

mickyritchie avatar image
mickyritchie asked

Smartsolar 75/15 problem since update to v5.24

My system is pretty basic ... and so is my knowledge!

I have a 335w panel connected to a 100/30 Smartsolar MPPT.

I also have a 200w panel connected to a Smartsolar 75/15.

The 2 MPPTs are connected in parallel charging a 135ah lead acid battery.

This set up has worked flawlessly for about 9 months.

18 May I updated to the latest Victron Connect software and updated the MPPT and charger software too. All good and loving the updates.

23 May there was a further Victron Connect update: v5.24

24 May I noticed the the 75/15 Bluetooth connection had disappeared and I noticed the switch between the MPPTs and positive busbar had tripped. When reset the 100/30 MPPT started bulk charging normally. The 75/15 leds showed 'float'. The panel cabling all looks 'normal'.

I'm beginning to suspect that the update of 23 May is the cause of the problem as everything was fine until that point.

Any thoughts on how I can reconnect to the 75/15 MPPT and bring it back into service?

MPPT Controllersfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mickyritchie avatar image
mickyritchie answered ·

I was contacted by Thiago from Victron who checked a few details such as serial number, number and status of LEDs etc. He consulted colleagues who suggested disconnecting the solar panel and battery, reconnecting and restarting my phone. This was successful! Bluetooth working again. Cause of the problem - who knows? Anyway, excellent support and customer care - thank you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, we’ll contact you in email to help figure out what the problem is.

2 |3000

humanbe avatar image
humanbe answered ·

I am also facing the same issue, that if I am connecting via app through bluetooth, the bluetooth connection keeps reconnecting after one second entering the charger. This means I cannot change any settings (e.g. load output: always on - always off, change battery setting, ... ). Nothing is working at all. We have already done the following steps without success:
1. Disconnect solar panels

2. Disconnect battery

3. Wait for 5 minutes

4. Delete Bluetooth device inside iPhone device

5. Restart phone

6. Reinstall app

7. Reconnect iPhone

I kindly ask for support since at this moment we do not have any energy in our van.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @HumanBE, we’ll contact you by email tomorrow.

Meanwhile some tips to get you going

it seems you have two issues - bluetooth connection issue and charger not charging.

for the bluetooth connection issue: please try a different phone; as well as other steps (as far as not already done) in the manual.

For the charger not charging issue, do the basics:

- measure panel voltage on the terminals of the solar charger (with a multi meter). It must be at least 5V above the battery voltage to start charging.
- Make sure there is a good connection between battery and the solar charger.
- Check the remote on/off input on the charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
humanbe avatar image humanbe mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
for the bluetooth connection issue: please try a different phone; as well as other steps (as far as not already done) in the manual.

Different Phones used, the problem keeps the same. Please check this video:

http://human-be.de/download/smartsolar.mov

Bluetooth keeps to be reconnecting w/o stable connection.

--> I can't activate the load output

For the charger not charging issue, do the basics:
- measure panel voltage on the terminals of the solar charger (with a multi meter). It must be at least 5V above the battery voltage to start charging.
- Make sure there is a good connection between battery and the solar charger.
- Check the remote on/off input on the charger.

At least after the Disconnect from panels and Battery over night it seems that he is charging the batterie again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic