question

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip asked

Multiplus - AC-1 AC-2 switch over for Aircon start on genset

Hi, I have a Multiplus in a motor home. All AC was connected to AC-1. Problem was, if somebody pulls the power lead or the generator runs out of fuel in the night, the Multiplus switches to battery and might discharge them too much. AC-2 drops the load in that case, but because its to sensitive, I can't use it to start the AC on the 'at start' unnoticable fluctuating generator.

Its a nearly new Honda EU2000i, perfect for the load.

So I installed an external switch that lets me switch the AC load from AC-1 to AC-2 after a few minutes, ones the generator is running acceptable for AC-2.

I am about to extend the switch with adequate cables to the inside.

Question: Is that a known problem and does it has a solution already?

Is there a config setting I can change?

ac out 2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @NiceTrip

There are lots of ways to 'slow down' AC 2 connecting, but there might be other options also:

-what settings do you use with the generator? as it is an inverter type 'variable speed' generator, do you have 'Dynamic Current Limiter' enabled?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip answered ·

Hi Daniël, thanks for the very quick reply!

I did a firmware upgrade to 2609474 first.

I tried the 'Current Limiter' enabled'' but with no change. AC-2 drops the load just when the air con adds the compressor to the fan. Fan until then it holds.

settings :

General - 16 A input current, battery monitor on with 500Ah,

Inverter - default

Charger - enabled, weak AC, 14,4 13,7 100A rest default

Virtual sw - default

I have the remote bridge on the board extended to a switch inside the camper, so its overriding the inverter+charger ON switch position.

Could I try some more?

Cheers

Chris

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @NiceTrip

if you want to increase the AC2 connection time, use assistants for a custom time setting.

you could try this:

0 Likes 0 ·
nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip answered ·

Perfect Daniel!!!

That worked out well, aircon currently running on AC-2. I wouldn't be a problem to add more seconds ... like take 300, that would give the generator some time to warm up, and the air con will run fan only for a minute before adding the compressor?

Great versatility! One more question. I will extend the bridge port on the board to switch the Multi on and off remotely. What voltage is on that port against mass? I would like to run a small LED on that switch.

thanks

2 |3000

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip answered ·

Hi Daniel, me again, sorry :0)

I noticed now that ACOut 2 doesn't use the battery at all? Good would be a combination of inverter on battery until AC1 becomes available, then use AC1 (generator or shore power), like default on ACOut 1.

I use the espresso machine on inverter/battery every morning.

How about -> when then AC1 becomes unavailable 'drop ACOUT 1'. After restart of the Multi it starts again on battery.

Is that possible? Otherwise after a quite morning with coffee I still have to switch to ACOut 2 to start the air con on generator, when it gets warm over the day.

2 |3000

Pantelis Zirinis avatar image
Pantelis Zirinis answered ·

I am having the same issue on a Northern Lights 5kW generator. Before installing the inverter the generator could take the load from both units without any issues.

On AC2 when the air con starts, AC2 dies. If I try it on AC1 it works fine.

I will try with the dynamic setting tomorrow and see how it goes.

I have a feeling ac2 is sensitive to voltage drops and for some reason feels there is no generator running, as it becomes available again in 2 minutes.

I am using a Multiplus 3000/12/50

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic