question

kimmo-paukku avatar image
kimmo-paukku asked

CCGX USB port “black outs”

Hi all,

I have following problem.

2x150/35 MPPTs are connected to CCGX via VE direct and they work fine without problems. My 3rd 150/35 is connected to CCGX via VE direct to USB interface cable. This unit loose connection almost every day and I get an error “#67 BMS connection lost” , Device list show "MPPT not connected" and MPPT goes to “float”.

I have reset this MPPT and done reconfiguration as mentioned on manual, but no help.

I have bought and tested with second VE direct to USB cable, but no help.

I don’t use any USB hubs or USB cable extensions.

I have swapped connection between two USB ports on CCGX, but no help. WIFI is connected to the second USB port. ( I lose WIFI connection also every now and then…)

CCGX running with FW 2.53, but I have tried with FW 2.42 , but the situation is the same.

Only when I reboot the CCGX, 3rd MPPT will work fine till next CCGX reboot.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for advance !

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color Control
screenshot-110.png (118.6 KiB)
screenshot-109.png (177.4 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

How long is the USB cable that you have connected to the CCGX ????,

10 mtrs with a very good quality cable is the best you will get, so try a shorter cable or a better quality cable, and see if this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku Paul B commented ·

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

Both of the tested cables are 1.8m long original Victron cables. Distance between CCGX and MPPT is about 1m.

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
kimmo-paukku answered ·

Hello Sirs,

Update:

I have swapped VE.Direct cables from the other charge controller to an other. This problem move to the other charge controller, so it cant be a problem on charge controller or with connections.

It must be something with USB port....

After CCGX reboot the charge controller works again.

Im just wondering, what happening on CCGX on night time or morning time. Usually I lose connection during the night time, but sometimes during the day time as well.

System setup:

3 x MPPT 150/35 , CCGX, Multiplus 48/5000, 6x Pylontech 2.4kWh

Thanks. :)

screenshot-123.png (186.2 KiB)
screenshot-124.png (179.7 KiB)
screenshot-126.png (360.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku commented ·

Hello Sirs,

….any comments... what I could do and try ? :)

Thanks,

0 Likes 0 ·
ktb avatar image ktb commented ·

Hi

I had a similar problem on my multiplus 2 gx in the end i fitted a cheep usb isolator between the usb connection in the gx and the other usb devices have had no issues since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GF8643T/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku answered ·

… is there anything I can still try to do, or is it time to request a new CCGX unit as a warranty ? This unit is 1 year and 2 days "old".

Best Regards,

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

Together with the Pylontech battery this might reach the limit of what the CCGX can handle. But I think it should work.

To test further: could you please try disconnecting the ve.direct cables and only have the usb-ve.direct connected, to see if that changes behavior?

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes sure, no problem.

I will do it tonight, because usually black out happen during early morning, so we have to wait result till tomorrow.

Today it happened two times.

Br,

Kimmo

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-146.png (347.4 KiB)
screenshot-147.png (346.0 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kimmo-paukku commented ·

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

Thank you, we are also looking into it, we also suspected EMI / EMC issues, are the ve.direct cables close to other cables? (AC / DC / ??)

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel,

There is few DC cables from panels going in the same wire channel short distance, about 60cm. No AC cables near to VE.Direct cables.

Br, Kimmo

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku kimmo-paukku commented ·

HI Daniel,

There has been no black outs during last night..... at least so far.

Charge controller with USB connection was connected, other charge controllers with VE Direct were disconnected.

Br, Kimmo

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-150.png (541.1 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

We have looked into the CCGX, and it seems to be EMI problems, so please try to run the usb-ve.direct cable in another path, and you can also try to ad ferrite beads to help reduce EMI.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Daniel,

OK, I can do that, no problem.

Other thing I noticed, VRM notifier "Problem and Recovery" emails comes at the same time, but only after recovery. So you don't get any info when this problem show up, only when you clear this problem. Could you please check this issue as well.

Br, Kimmo

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku answered ·

Hi Daniel,

Another night without black outs, when two other charge controllers were disconnected.

Only charge controller with USB connection was connected.

So, what we can do ?

Is it really true, that there is no chance to connect 3pcs or more charge controllers to CCGX by using VE Direct to USB cable? CCGX was very expensive device, and Im not so happy to buy Cerbo and replace CCGX with it.

Br, Kimmo

screenshot-157.png (639.8 KiB)
2 |3000

kimmo-paukku answered ·

Hi Daniel,

Update:

I have rerouted all DC and AC cables 3-4 days ago.... so no more DC cables in wire channels with AC wires. This worked a while, but again on last night, there was a USB black out. Both charge controllers with VE Direct cables are ok.

screenshot-164.png (932.6 KiB)
2 |3000

kimmo-paukku answered ·

Hi Daniel,

Still "black outs" continue.

Last night it happened 3 times. It is always charge controller with USB connection.

Is it true then, that CCGX can NOT handle 3 charge controllers... ?? IF charge controllers with VE direct are disconnected, then no problem with 3rd controller.

It is very strange, that it happens always at night or early morning.... never afternoon...

screenshot-172.png (939.9 KiB)
2 |3000

kimmo-paukku answered ·

Hi Victron staff

Any comments... ? What I can do ??

Thanks,

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

So with the ve.direct mppt's disconnected, they do not disconnect? that's interesting... I'll ask again to look into this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

Did you read my last question?

0 Likes 0 ·
kimmo-paukku avatar image kimmo-paukku Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel,

If 2 x VE direct charge controllers are connected, 3rd with USB cable and also WIFI dongle is connected, then always CCGX have USB black outs.

If only one VE direct charge controller, second with USB cable is connected, and also WIFI dongle is connected. then usually there is no black outs on USB ports.

If 2 x VE Direct charge controllers and WIFI dongle is connected, no problems, but sometimes I lose WIFI connection.

Also, 2 x VE direct charge controllers and 3rd with USB cable + LAN Ethernet cable connected, almost 3 days without problems, before LAN port died. This happened yesterday evening. Now Im not able to use ethernet cable anymore. CCGX Ethernet page shows "unplugged", even if I connect the ethernet cable, and ethernet port Yellow light start flashing fast, so there must be some communication. Green ethernet port light stays on stable.

Now I have WIFI dongle again connected, and during the night, one VE direct charge controller is disconnected.

I will return CCGX back to dealer and buy something else, which I hope works better.

Br, Kimmo

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kimmo-paukku commented ·

Hi @Kimmo Paukku

Yes, please contact your dealer for a warranty replacement of the CCGX, hopefully that fixes all problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
Petar Maksimovic avatar image
Petar Maksimovic answered ·

Could be that Ve.Direct to USB is overloading CCGX USB host port?

I have tested CCGX with TENDA W322U WiFi dongle (same Ralink RT5372 chipset as recommended Asus USB N-14 dongle). CCGX recognize it, connects to WiFi, but restart after a while. LED on WiFi dongle is not turning on. When dongle is used on a PC LED will be on and indicating status. I suspect not enough miliamps on the CCGX USB host to drive this dongle. Will give it a try with powered USB hub in between. That might be solution to this problem too...

2 |3000

rrroonn avatar image
rrroonn answered ·

Yes, its an old post, but I thought I would add a comment as it is related to an issue I ran into. I found that adding multiple USB devices via an unpowered hub was problematic but was resolved by adding external power to the hub.

It seems that the USB power supply in the CCGX is not very capable and external power (via a powered USB hub) may be required depending on what you plug in - it is worth a try anyway to see if it resolves your USB problems.

2 |3000