question

sv-the-dream avatar image
sv-the-dream asked

MPPT 150/100 Bluetooth connection issues

We have installed our MPPT 150/100 in 2017 and have always experienced problems with the bluetooth connection.

Problems vary from not being able to connect by getting stuck on the connecting at different percentages, name shown on app displays the symbol & or a dot but never the actual name given to the device. On the few times we can actually log through the app it only gives us the current status of the mppt but never displays the 30 day history or shows the drop down menu for settings etc.

We monitor the MPPT via the VE.Direct 1 port on the color control

Currently installed firmware version v1.46

MPPT ControllersBluetooth
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sv-the-dream avatar image sv-the-dream commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) could you please forward me to the right Techician or support for this issue?

no matter how many updates we do to our mppt and how many downloads of the app we do the Bluetooth never works correctly.

thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sv-the-dream commented ·

Hi @SV The Dream
What kind of devices have you tried with? and what is the distance to the MPPT?

0 Likes 0 ·
sv-the-dream avatar image sv-the-dream Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel we have tried with an iPhone 6S, an iPhone 6, an iPad Pro 2nd generation and an iPad Pro 1st generation, all with the latest software updates.

the MPPT is the 150|100 TR with Bluetooth.

We’ve tried from literally on top of it to many meters away, the result is always the same. It shows on the app identified by an & or a dot and we rarely can actually access the device.

when we try to connect to de vices if neighbouring vessels it works fine (if they give us the PIN)

would be great if a troubleshoot exists.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sv-the-dream commented ·

Hi @SV The Dream

There is a troubleshoot:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/index-en.html#UUID-3e7793ac-44bb-d9b3-70d1-6f8bd4eeb383

If that doesn't help, please create a service report:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/index-en.html#UUID-98bc9211-902b-01a0-96b9-1f314c4d63c5

I'll email you from support, so you can reply to this email and send the service report.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Simon Bendall avatar image
Simon Bendall answered ·

I've had similar issues with my SmartSolar 150/45 unit. I use the VictronConnect app on my phone because my laptop has issues itself with Bluetooth.

The phone app works fully, when I can see the the SmartSolar. When it can't, the only option is to clear the app storage, and start it again. It then works perfectly for a while before I need to repeat the process. I'm an Android user by the way.

Simon

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @SV The Dream

What you're doing there through the CCGX isn't supported, and I'm surprised you get anything at all. You'd need to go direct to the mppt with the dongle, and of course there's only one VE.Direct port at the mppt, so there's the real issue.. one or the other..

You could use wifi (not BT) or ethernet, also with the newly-released VictronConnect version for full functionality as with BT. This may need VRM to be up for it to work though, I haven't tested for that.

2 comments
2 |3000

sv-the-dream avatar image sv-the-dream commented ·

Hi John,

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding what you are saying with regards of the CCGX not supporting what we are doing.

It clearly states on the instructions of the MPPT 150/100 (page 8 item 3.10 Connectivity) that you can connect the MPPT via a VE.Direct to VE.Direct cable to a Color Control.

And on the instructions of the Color Control it clearly states that you can connect a MPPT 75/10 up to 250/100 through the VE.Direct 1 port.

Also the MPPT 150/100 has Bluetooth Smart built-in so it doesn't need a bluetooth dongle...

The firmware version I'm referring to is for the MPPT.

We are running the latest versions of the VictronConnect app on our iPhones and iPads

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ sv-the-dream commented ·

Ok, you weren't clear, so I've misinterpreted what you're doing. I can't help with your Apple issues over BT.

0 Likes 0 ·
dcpen43 avatar image
dcpen43 answered ·

Experiencing loss of BLE when I disable the battery output. Have to disconnect PV to re establish BLE.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic