question

wrietveld avatar image
wrietveld asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 output fluctuation since update to fw1.49 using VictronConnect v5.21beta5.

I just updated a SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 to firmware 1.49 using VictronConnect v5.21beta5 (iOS TestPilot says beta 5 but settings shows beta 4), the solar harvest starts fluctuating and also the DC voltage starts to show some disruption. The output will slowly increase and then suddenly drop to 0 after which it starts up again slowly. It would continue this cycle until the sun is down.

After the update, VenusGX showed a notification that there was an unsupported DVCC firmware so I updated the connected Phoenix MultiPlus 800 to FW 474. I also updated the ESS assistant. I have restarted every single component in the system, disabled DVCC to no avail. Eventually I removed the load and disabled feeding back into the grid to safeguard the battery because this was the only thing I could do to stop the DC voltage fluctuation.

I also have a BMV700 in the system which is already running latest firmware.

I did do a factory reset for the SmartSolar MPPT to no avail. Could something have gone wrong during the firmware update? It halted for a few second during the update process and then started over. Is there a possibility of downgrading the MPPT to a slightly older Firmware just to check?

This system had a perfect was working perfectly before, there were also no clouds in the sky that could explain the behavior.

MPPT ControllersDVCC
1589177442363.png (154.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wrietveld avatar image
wrietveld answered ·

I forgot to add, since the fw update, the lights on the front of the MPPT are no longer solid on. They go off for a split second every few seconds.

Lastly, I tried removing the VE.direct cable between VenusGX and the SmartSolar ChargeController and it continues to show the exact same symptoms.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

basecamper-vans avatar image
basecamper-vans answered ·

I have a customer experiencing close to the same problem. I swapped out the charge controller to eliminate the possibility of a bad part. Everything else looks good in the system -- scratching my head.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Basecamper Vans

We're in contact with @wrietveld and trying a new firmware. what version MPPT do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
basecamper-vans avatar image basecamper-vans Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for responding. MPTT SN: HQ1838318QB. I have a Smart Dongle if that's necessary to update firmware. Please advise.

0 Likes 0 ·
misullivan avatar image misullivan commented ·

I see similar but at the top of the generation... clear blue sky all day for this graph...

Didn’t do that with earlier firmware... (easysolar ii 3kva GX)

0 Likes 0 ·
ksmith avatar image
ksmith answered ·

Has anyone come across a resolution for this problem? I am experiencing the same PV output fluctuation and am worried it is detrimental to my Li-ion batteries lifespan.

1 comment
2 |3000

wrietveld avatar image wrietveld commented ·

I can confirm that this was fixed in the next version of the firmware. The the change log of MPPT firmware 1.5 for more details.

0 Likes 0 ·