question

georges avatar image
georges asked

Off-grid Victron Solution coupled with a Victron solar DC chargers and AC Wind turbine

Hello Everyone,

I'm designing for a client a completely remote solution/off-grid system with Victron technologies.

I'm feeding an average of 5kW AC load 24/7, 365 days a year, so I'm targeting both solar and wind to reduce my battery bank capacity since both sources are feasible to introduce in the project's area.

Accordingly, a battery bank with a Victron Quattro 8KVA DC coupled with several Victron smartsolar charge controllers in parallel and AC coupled at the AC output (load side) with two or one wind turbines having a total capacity of 6~7 kW max.

Can anyone help identify the best wind turbine system to couple them with this system? having an inverter that de-rates when the batteries are full (frequency controlled by the Quattro) and that operates efficiently at low wind speeds?

thank you in advance,

offgriddc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
spudgun avatar image
spudgun answered ยท

Hi Georges,

What country are you in? That will help with locally available solutions in relation to a wind turbine.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georges avatar image georges commented ยท

Hello, thank you for your question, the project is in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

0 Likes 0 ยท

Any ideas sir @Spudgun?

0 Likes 0 ยท
spudgun avatar image
spudgun answered ยท

Hi Georges,

I was going to suggest SD-Wind based in Scotland but that is not very near Saudi Arabia. Although I know they have turbines installed in that region so it might be worth sending them an email. Hope that helps.

6 comments
2 |3000

Thank you, sir, we will contact them today, but will their grid-tied inverter function properly AC coupled with the Victron Quattro? do you know if they tested those systems with Victron and they had success stories till now? @Spudgun

0 Likes 0 ยท
spudgun avatar image spudgun georges commented ยท

Hi Georges. Yes, the inverter can detect the Quattro frequency shift and reduce the output accordingly. The beauty about the SDWind turbine is that it can run fully unloaded without causing damage to the machine. It achieves this with its blade hinge design. However, there is a resistor dump load in the system to provide a load should it become unloaded.

0 Likes 0 ยท
georges avatar image georges spudgun commented ยท

Okay Sir, thank you for your help, much appreciated!

I hope they reply to me soon, so we move forward, I will keep you in the loop.

0 Likes 0 ยท
georges avatar image georges spudgun commented ยท

Good morning Sir @Spudgun, I tried to reach SD-Wind from 2 weeks now from their website but still no reply, do you someone's contact from SD-Wind that can help me?

0 Likes 0 ยท
sean avatar image sean georges commented ยท

It's very likely, as are most of the UKs manufacturers, that SD are either closed or operating with very few staff due to the current situation.

I'm not sure what your budget is for this project but the installation of a 6kW model will leave very little change out of 30k UKP - that's for a UK installation.

0 Likes 0 ยท
georges avatar image georges sean commented ยท

Good Morning Sean, thank you for the status update about the UK, I hope those tough times pass as quickly as possible with the minimum damage on all people.

For the cost of the wind turbine, the client insists on installing around 6kW although it's not economically very feasible in the intended location.

Do you have any other supplier that can offer me a turbine in this power range that can operate with Victron Technology?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic