question

gunm avatar image
gunm asked

The fuse blows for my second (starter) battery connected to BMV602S

Hi,

We have had a Victron BMV602S installed onbord our boat for a number of years. Now the 1Amp fuse has suddenly started to blow for the second battery. The current looks very high. Any idea what it can be??? The meter says 0.11V although the fuse is removed.

BMV Battery Monitorfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Just a guess: could the cable between the shunt and the display be pinched, shorting out the power wires?

Or some other short in the wiring after the fuse?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gunm avatar image
gunm answered ·

@Kevin Windrem You are rigtht, a shortcut in the cable could have been the answer. I started out by getting a number of fuses to have during the test, and started to connect section by section. But first I cleaned the cable contacts to make sure no current could slip between the connections. Now it works! The fuse is intact. I am not sure the cleaning made the job, but perhaps. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the reply.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'd leave the fuse out and put an ohm meter between the positive lead going to the shunt and ground. Then wiggle connectors and flex the cable to see if you can cause the short to occur (~ 0 ohms). The condition may be too brief to cause a stable 0 ohm reading but it should flicker. A beeper is another option (some meters have this built in).

I'd also inspect the cable for any signs of abrasion, kinking or sharp bends.

I hate trying to find intermittent problems like this. Good luck.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page