question

fs67 avatar image
fs67 asked

Best way to wire house battery to the engine alternators on boat with 12 m distance between them

Hi,

I need to rewire a boat that has two small engines with 70A alternators. The house battery is 12 meters away and I am wondering if this requires a DC-DC charger to properly charge the house battery instead of using an Cyrix Battery Combiner. All batteries are AGM. Concerns I have are overcharging of the starter battery and undercharging of the house battery due to voltage drop.

In the current setup the previous owner wired one engine alternator to the house battery and the second one to the 2 starter batteries. I am not happy with that setup as I want to keep my starter batteries separated and I also would like to use both alternators to charge our house battery. We have no gas on board, so use quite a lot of electrical power for cooking and the likes.

Thanks,

Frank

orion-tr smartCyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

I would go with a DC-DC charger for all of the reasons you listed, plus the fact that the charger will put out proper voltages continuously, vs the varying voltage from the alternators.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.