question

hanschristian avatar image
hanschristian asked

Venus OS - iPhone USB modem not recognized as GSM modem

I am trying to use an iPhone as an USB modem/gps on pi 3+ with Venus os 2.42. iPhone USB modem is recognized and is working when connected to pc or Mac. When connected to pi iPhone charges via usb but is not recognized as gsm modem nor as gps device.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @hanschristian. It is not a supported solution, however I suspect it may work with some older phones. It is likely due to missing drivers for the modem. Victron does have a GX GSM device albeit only 2/3G, which may also explain it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hanschristian avatar image
hanschristian answered ·

Hi @ejrossouw, thank you for the quick response. I also have a quectel 25-A card with a sixfab hat that is not being recognized. Is in this case a solution available? Thank you for your help.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Have you actually tried setting up the phone as a wifi hotspot and use a wifi dongle on the pi to connect to the web/vrm that way? I personally don't have the answer, but can only imagine given it is not a supported solution it is going to be hit-and-miss. There is a pi group somewhere, but I am not sure where as it is more pi related than victron in this case.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Have you actually tried setting up the phone as a wifi hotspot and use a wifi dongle on the pi to connect to the web/vrm that way? I personally don't have the answer, but can only imagine given it is not a supported solution it is going to be hit-and-miss. Have you looked at the modifications space?

2 |3000

Related Resources