question

javitfs avatar image
javitfs asked

Extending future Off Grid system

Hello Victron friends ,

I am planning an Off grid system with certain features :

1- It will feed a little weekend house at the beggining , so a 5Kva would be more than ok

2 - After 3 years time I will need to increase loads at night time ( 8000 w x 4 hours / night ) so I will need to add more Inverter and more Battery , panels , etc ) Loads during day time will be low.

3- After 5 years I will need to increase loads at night even more , so let say 12000 w x 4 hours at night ) so I wll need to add more battery and inverters , etc...

After reading a lot about Victron off grid systems there are different ways to acomplish this , but I am new to this and my electrical knowledge is near 0 so sometimes I do not understand all what I read ...

My conclusions maybe are totally wrong or maybe there are better ways to do this , in that case could you make me a correction or recommendation , ok let me try to explain what is running inside my head ...

To start with inicial requirements 1- ( weekend house ) in order to make things easy I would choose an Easysolar 48v 5Kva with a big BYD battery

2- In order to increase power at night ( 8000 w x 4 hours ) I was thinking in adding a 5Kva Multiplus and another battery

3- Now to increase power at night even more (12000 w x 4 hours ) I was thinking of adding another Multiplus and battery

Is this set up correct ? Is there a better way ?? Can Easy solar work with Quattro or only with Multiplus ?

Basically the most important thing is that I will need a lot of power to run the loads at night , this loads will be basically around 1000 bulb led in Step 2 , and 1500 bulb led in Step 3 .

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
slartybart avatar image
slartybart answered ·

I’ve been thinking along similar lines. One thing that slightly worries me is that the technology is perpetually changing and we might find that the ability to pair what’s on sale in a few years is no longer compatible with what’s on the market now. Also, unless you are completely wiring the house from scratch the Multiplus 2 is a better option that the easy solar, in my opinion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Javitfs My first suggestion is always to find ways to become much more energy efficient where possible, especially for off-grid living. Secondly, future expansion will be problematic if done via parallel connected systems as inverters has to be exactly matched models down to HW version so that you may have to buy with that in mind. Maybe worth getting in touch with a dealer who can explain you options. You don't mention solar panels etc. so best to get in touch with a local dealer. There is so much more to take into account and system design advice is typically not in line with the forum rules.

2 |3000