question

roamforloam avatar image
roamforloam asked

BP220 short

Hi

I have a BP12/24 220, it is between a 12v vehicle battery and 2 leisure batteries (12v each) parallel. there is an 1800w inverter wired to leisure batteries with remote on/off switch. I have just done a basic test on the BP, disconnected the remote plug then disconnected the IN from vehicle batt. I still have 13.2v at IN(at time) feeding across from the OUT. surely this should be 0v or very low?... Is there another way of testing or is the unit fried?

Its an ex crew van converted to camper so the set up was already in and wired this way.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The BP is not designed to connect two batteries.
Current flow (and voltage) from OUT to IN is possible anytime but will destroy the BP.

What do you want to achieve with that type of installation?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roamforloam avatar image
roamforloam answered ·

Well, as I say the system was fitted before I bought the vehicle and I’ve left it stock as fitted by a ‘reputable’ company for highways firm...I’m converting to a camper so the set up is leisure batteries with ancillaries, ie inverter and small led/usb power consumption. I guessed at first the bp220 similar to a vsr ... never took much attention to it. since been reading up.

Ive just run the system with load and fitted an alarm to bp, alarm went off at correct voltage drop but didn’t shut down after 90secs so I guess it’s toast.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@roamforloam, yes unfortunately this is an expressly forbidden connection of the BatteryProtect and will, invariably, cause it to fail. Please remove the device entirely as soon as you possibly can.

0 Likes 0 ·
roamforloam avatar image
roamforloam answered ·

Also now have code E3 flashing permanently.

2 |3000