question

charlieczw avatar image
charlieczw asked

DVCC has beem forced on!

I have an offgrid system with a #48 Warning DVCC Firmware insufficient alarm
(5Kva Multiplus with BYD B-Box)

For some reason the DVCC has been "Forced on"
I have tried, remotely, to turn it off, but to no avail!
Any suggestions as to why it is "Forced on"??
Kind Regards
Charlie

DVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @charlieczw

Maybe your BYD has switched it on? It's recommended that it be on with the BYD's, and maybe it can do that itself. And if your Multi firmware isn't up to it, then perhaps you could fix that. Have you seen this?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charlieczw avatar image
charlieczw answered ·

Hi John
Thanks for this! I will have to go on site after the Covid 19 Lockdown!!

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·
2 |3000

solarhack avatar image
solarhack answered ·

I have a BYD B-Box pro. I noticed after an upgrade a short while ago (More than a month) the DVCC changed from on to forced on. I believe a VenusOS update changed this.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @charlieczw

As others have mentioned, a recent change in Venus OS (for the GX device) firmware now forces DVCC to be enabled, where the battery manufacture requires it.

Apologies for the unintended consequences of this in your previously, but now not working system.

The advice for what to do in your situation is documented here.

Namely disable automatic firmware updates in the GX device, and then roll back to the previous version that worked for you.

Then the best thing would bring all components to the minimum required firmware versions when you next get the opportunity.

There is further community discussion about this issue here too.

2 |3000

bitkid avatar image
bitkid answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) What to do about MultiPlus with old CPU? Last firmware released is 209 for this model. And this firmware is not compatible with DVCC. I am now replacing batteries in such installation with PylonTech, so I am getting this error, since this no longer could be turned off.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @bitkid,

The short answer is that old models that cannot meet the minimum system requirements for Pylontech batteries (firmware 469) are not supported.

There is a longer answer in that it MAY be possible for older model Multis to get an upgrade that replaces some circuit boards with new processors that have more capacity.

It is not available for all models, or in all locations.

This upgrade process requires access to a Victron Repair Service agent, and that will require some enquiries to see if one is available where you are. There will also be some upgrade costs involved for their labour and the parts, if it is possible.

I would start by searching for the closest Victron dealer to you here - https://www.victronenergy.com.au/where-to-buy and then explaining the situation and asking if they know the nearest Victron Authorised Repair centre where Inverter/Chargers get sent for repairs. It may require a few phone calls before you find the right place (or find that it is isn't possible).

0 Likes 0 ·
bitkid avatar image bitkid Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hey @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Thanks for reply. I have talked to my dealer and he has the newer PCB in stock. He wasn't sure about the compatibility and sent him link to your response.

I live on the most remote island in the world so I won't be able to ship the MultiPlus unit to his warehouse due to cost. But he can ship the PCB to me. I have replaced these boards before, albeit in same model swap. So before I order it, the only question I need to answer is if the board can simply be swapped in without additional programming or is this step required?

My FW model number is 1900. MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50. My dealer has the card for this exact model with 50A transfer capacity with 26XX version CPU.

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @bitkid,

It is really beyond my experience to give specific advice on these models and the exact swap out procedure.

I am almost certain that there will be an a software programming step required in VE.Configure to "upgrade" as well as "update" so that the PCB and firmwares all match the hardware.

Getting this kind of support is not easy, and especially when extremely remote. It is best accessed via communication with your repair agent who is supplying the PCB, and may involve some cost for their time, and the time waiting while they find the right people through their repair contact at Victron to answer those kinds of questions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources