question

Paul Carmichael avatar image
Paul Carmichael asked

How to configure warning levels ccgx

Hello. I have a Quattro 48/8000. The manual says max constant output = 7000W, but we get warnings for short bursts at about 5000 (the max peak is 16000). We also get low battery warnings when the battery is at 80%. I've just changes prefs so as not to receive warnings by email, but surely this inaccurate reporting negates the usefulness of the service? Is there a way to change the defaults?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Paul Carmichael

Your warnings are probably legitimate, perhaps from power spikes you can't see. Nor will VRM show them on the graphs, with per-minute monitoring. But your Quattro can see them, and via GX via VRM via email, you get told.

Not adjustable (Edit/: I mean there the overload spikes, but other things like Vbat are), but you can disable the annoying ones in the GX/Quattro/Alarmsetup screen, so they shouldn't be passed on.

It's not necessarily 'inaccurate reporting', more something you prefer to ignore. And you can if that's what you want. Won't make the spikes go away, but the warnings will.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Paul Carmichael

Are you using can connected batteries? If not then the battery low warning is what is programmed in as voltage in the quattro.

The 5000w reading can be what the system is recording as apparent power. We have seen this happen with motor/pump loads. The motor is say 1500w but we have seen overloads on an 8kva as the power factor on the motor is terrible. So calculating from the csv data amps x volts drawn from the battery will give you some idea of what the system is actually processing.

2 |3000

Paul Carmichael avatar image
Paul Carmichael answered ·

Thanks. We live in a small house. No large motors and we couldn't exceed the maximum peak if we tried. It's nearly always at cooking time - kettle+oven+grill etc. Absolute max in the region of 6kW. I'll see what it's like with just alarms and no warnings passed on. It just seems a waste to not be able to make use of the system.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Paul Carmichael

An overload warning combined with low battery warning is often a sign of a weak and/or empty battery.

Can you show VRM graphs of battery voltage / current and AC-output power when such a warning happens?

6 comments
2 |3000

Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael commented ·

Hello Daniël.

The thing is I never let the battery get below 70% and the consumption never goes above 6kW. I just downloaded a big spreadsheet showing the warnings etc. I don't think there's any sensitive data in there, so I could just put it on my server and post a link here. Or should I send it in a PM?

Paul.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Paul Carmichael commented ·

Hi @Paul Carmichael

Best to make screenshots of DC volt / amps (from Multi DC bus) on the VRM 'details' page.

SOC says nothing: if battery monitor is not programmed correctly, or batteries have lower capacity, this could say 70% while battery is empty.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

OK. I did set up the SOC thing myself because by default it showed 100% far too early. Here is a screenshot and the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has a minute by minute monitoring of everything, so should be much more use.

http://185.219.27.69:1961/vrm

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Paul Carmichael commented ·

By the way, I picked the most extreme example (in that screenshot usage goes up to around 7kW)

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Paul Carmichael commented ·

Hi @Paul Carmichael

Please make screenshots of DC volt / amps (from Multi DC bus).

your screenshot doesn't show battery voltage...

you can also tell me your VRM id, then I can look at it myself.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Oh, sorry. The id is 506583dc8ea5.

0 Likes 0 ·