question

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc asked

Octo GX, MPPT connection Capabilities

Hi,

I am a bit confused by the Spec on the Octo GX. Apparently the documentation is still being developed. Currently our set-up includes 9 to 14 MPPT's depending on the project.

The flyer comparing the different controller capabilities indicates that the maximum number of MPPT's connected to the Octo unit is 10 by Ve.Direct connection.

The Documentation seems to indicate that they are 15 VE Direct ports on the unit. 12 inside, 3 on the top.

1) Is 10 the real limit?

2) Is the limitation a software limitation and the Extra port can be use to connect other devices like BMV, Multi and the like?

3) Is there any restriction into which of the 15 ports can be used for the MPPT?

4) If 10 is the limit through the Ve Direct input, any chance to get extra MPPT's through the USB port.

MPPT Controllersgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, the maximum is 10; as stated here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

Where did you read 15? It was 15; but later reduced.

Best regards, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

I did not read 15 anywhere. But I counted the number of ports shown on the pictures. There are 12 on the inside and 3 on the top side. See the composite image I created. Thus my questions.

The embryo of documentation say up to 10 but only shows 6 connected. So not sure where to connect the other?

Now we can technically have some of the MPPT(150/85, 150/100) connected through the VeCan. would they be counted in the 10 limit?

Also If we want to display the information on a Raymarine system. Do we need to use the Ethernet connection or the VeCan connection or other?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic