question

goose avatar image
goose asked

Pylontech & ESS problem

Good day,

I am having difficulty with my Pylontech & Quattro setup with ESS....

Current Frimwares:

Quattro 48/8000: 2655469

SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 rev2: v1.46

Venus GX: v2.52

The installation was done precisely as described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Current ESS settings on GX:

BUT with the above settings, the ESS runs like this:

When I set the Minimum SOC to 90% for example, the ESS acts like this:

Disabling "Feed in excess solar" also works but only when I had the minimum SOC to 90% for example:

It seems like when the battery hits the minimum SOC, it prevents the MPPT to work....

Thank you in advance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSPylontech
capture2.png (22.9 KiB)
capture3.png (19.8 KiB)
capture.png (26.2 KiB)
capture5.png (25.2 KiB)
capture6.png (25.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
goose avatar image
goose answered ·

Good day folks!

My ultimate conclusion was that ESS / DVCC did not correctly use the charge limits sent from the BMS.

It seems like somewhere with some firmware update my above problem was resolved (maybe 6 months ago already).

When battery was nearing full, and the BMS reported that it wanted less current, the ESS is now not limiting current anymore, but redirecting it to loads as was expected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

I see the ESS #1 and #2 in your third picture. Is the Color Control set up to use the VE Bus for SOC or the Pylontech BMS?

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4391/what-is-ess1-ess2.html

This article may be helpful in troubleshooting your setup.

1585659170768.png (26.8 KiB)
1585659469823.png (220.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

goose avatar image goose commented ·

I have not seen/changed the specific setting for SOC on the GX, is it this one:

But with ESS #1 & #2 active, it should not have limited the operation of the MPPT correct?

Also my SOC limit was set to 95%, and the active limit was also 95%, not sure why it was on ESS #1 & #2 when the SOC was on 97%..

0 Likes 0 ·
1585660292563.png (25.8 KiB)
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie goose commented ·

Hi

Turn off battery life not required as the BMS takes care of it as per Pylon tech settings, only for lead acid type AGM batteries etc. i set my SOC done to 25% so is use the battery pack to it full capacity over night time. i only get down to about 50% by the morning.

I have a similar system but with a Muliplus 2 unit with 10kw Pylon tech battery bank, i have a zero power bill and in credit with the power company.

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Goose

Why would you run with minimum SOC set to 95%?

try lower like 50-60%, or, when you want to keep the battery charged fully: use 'keep batteries charged'

1 comment
2 |3000

goose avatar image goose commented ·

I will try that now, and document the results of "keep batteries charged"

But yesterday I came to the conclusion that it was when the batteries are nearly full it stops MPPT operation, even when "Feed-in excess solar" was enabled.

Also, let's say I try a lower setting of 50%, all is good until I reach 50% and ESS #1 (and/or #2) activates. Then it seems like it stops MPPT operation as in my screenshot (albeit the setting was on 95%)

0 Likes 0 ·