question

iostrym avatar image
iostrym asked

Is smart solar 100/20 able to limit by itself charge current at 20A or will it be damaged if too much power is provided by solar panels

In smartsolar datasheet it is written :

maximum battery current = 20 A

doest it mean that current to charge batteries will be properly limited to 20A or will it be a problem if, for instance, 400W are provided to victron and then : 400/12 => I = 33A. Will battery charge current be limited to 20A ? or will it break the victron ?

best regards

solarcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@iostrym Use the calculator https://mppt.victronenergy.com/.

You will find a 400W panel at 12v is more than 30% oversized for the charge controller and not generally advised. It would be better on a 24V system.

Yes it will current limit to 20A output. Whenever you configure a system you do not want to exceed the input Voltage of the charge controller, which in your case is 100V.

I have used a 390W Jinko panel as an example since I know their Specs.

You would still need to program your battery specific into the charge controller to make sure it is charged correctly according to manufacture recommendations.

1585421560202.png (102.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iostrym avatar image iostrym commented ·

thanks a lot for your answer. yes I'm now aware of this. It's juste that in the meantime doing transition from 12V to 24V I wonder if I could still use my charge controller with oversized solar panels (input voltage will be below 100V) without damaging it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @iostrym

As written in the datasheet:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20,-100-20_48V-EN-.pdf

and in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10-75-15-100-15-100-20-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE.pdf

The maximum (short circuit or Isc Panel) input Current of the panels is 20A for your controller, so as long as your panels are wired not to exceed that, there is no problem.

7 comments
2 |3000

iostrym avatar image iostrym commented ·

But will it be a lot of power dissipation by joule effect (temperature increase) if the charge controller can't distribute all energy provided by solar panel to batteries ?

350wc+185wc = 535WC (Isc < 20A, ok)

but because of 20A limitation on battery side, power provided to batteries is 20*14 = 280W

=> 535W-280W = 255W wasted and dissipated in joule effect.

I'm ok with the waste (because my concern is to increase production in winter or when there is no much sun) but I worry about the temperature rise of the victron controler. Will it damage it ? or is it designed to support this king of power dissipation ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ iostrym commented ·

Hi @iostrym

There is no extra power dissipated, it is just not used. Just like when your battery is fully charged, no power will be taken from the panels.

(except when you use the power at the same time, but you get the idea)

0 Likes 0 ·
iostrym avatar image iostrym Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

do you mean that charge controller will detect that intensity is near 20A on battery side and then charge controller will modify panel voltage so that input power provided by panels will be decreased so that intensity will be never above 20A ?

it sounds me a little bit complicated this way, and there is a risk for the charge controller not to be "quick enough" (in case of sun quickly appear after a long cloudy day, etc...)

if not this way, then I don't get the point, 535W on pannel side provided to charge controller, only 280W provided to batteries (not to exceed 20A on batteries side). Where is the difference ?

And you are right, when batteries are charged and that only a few Amp are sent by charge controller to batteries, power on batterie side is even lower ! Energy should be "sent" somewhere else...

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ iostrym commented ·

The energy is not 'sent somewhere else' it is just not 'taken from the solar panels'.

If you have a panel that is not connected, the energy is also not used, that's the same.

The MPPT is able to adjust how much power the solar panel produces by adjusting the panel's voltage. It will set the panel voltage to the optimal point for how much power the system needs.

For a 20A MPPT, if the panel can potentially produce more, the MPPT will limit how much that panel produces to keep to the 20A battery current limit. You will not damage the controller by connecting more power than the MPPT can use.

In fact it is recommended to install more, so you can get more power during cloudy weather.

0 Likes 0 ·
iostrym avatar image iostrym Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks,it was what I wanted to do but I was afraid of what the vendor told me about energy dissipation and joule effect.

0 Likes 0 ·

now, I understand better working of your charge controllers. One last question :

are you sure that charge controller will modify voltage of solar panel to reach another "working point" (that seems complex to me because max power algorithm take several seconds if I correctly remember)

or maybe, like PWM controllers, when battery is charged or when 20A are almost reached, the controllers with shut on/off quickly solar pannels (alternance of Vmp, 0v, Vmp, 0v, Vmp, 0v) so that power provided by pannels with decrease but without "perturbing" Vmp calculation. (this second option is compatible with your sentence : "The MPPT is able to adjust how much power the solar panel produces by adjusting the panel's voltage" but not compatible with the other one : "It will set the panel voltage to the optimal point for how much power the system needs."

Best regards

0 Likes 0 ·

@iostrym

Yes, as long as max Isc of the connected PV is below 20A and max voltage below 100V you don't have to worry.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic