question

s-v-simbora avatar image
s-v-simbora asked

VE.Bus BMS - how to control multiple devices?

Can I connect more than one Victron unit with a remote On/Off switch to the "Load disconnect" or "Charge disconnect" of the VE.Bus BMS? On the charge side I have a Skylla IP44 charger and a SmartSolar MPPT device - can these both be controlled by the "Charge disconnect" of the BMS? Similarly, on the load side I have three BatteryProtect devices - can all three simultaneously be connected to the "Load disconnect" of the BMS? If not, how should I connect these devices to the BMS? Thank you!

BMSVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @s_v Simbora

You generally need a relay with multiple contacts to control multiple devices, but sometimes you can get away with connecting to the same output, if all outputs are tolerant of battery voltage, and the load to the BMS control output doesn't exceed its maximum.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

s-v-simbora avatar image s-v-simbora commented ·

Daniel, thank you for the answer - it is pretty much as I expected.

However, I'm having difficulty is figuring out what the exact loads are that I am working with:

1. VE.Bus BMS: What is the load that the "Charge disconnect" can handle? The manual states the maximum current is 10mA - but at what voltage?

2. SmartSolar MPPT 150/100 VE.Can: How much power is needed to activate the remote on/off switch? I can find no indication in the literature. Or is there a better way to control the controller? I also have a Venus GX in the system.

3. Skylla-IP44 charger: How much power is needed to activate the remote on/off switch? I can find no indication in the literature. Or is there a better way to control the controller?

I appreciate your time and effort in helping with these issues.

Philip

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ s-v-simbora commented ·

Hi @s_v Simbora

1. battery voltage

2. I don't know, very little.

3. see 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image
valden answered ·

Thanks for this question and answer. I'm now planning to use a Smart BMS CL 12/100 instead of a VE.Bus BMS, to control connection and disconnection of lithium batteries to chargers (including an alternator) and loads. I'm guessing the answer provided for the VE.Bus BMS will be the same for the Smart BMS CL 12/100.

I'll see if I can compare the current draw of the Smart Battery Protect 220, Cyrix-Li Charge 120 and MultiPlus 12/3000/120 with what the Smart BMS CL 12/100 can cope with. Hmmm ...

2 |3000