question

jwlynch82 avatar image
jwlynch82 asked

Torque specs

I've seen this asked before after searching without an official answer from Victron so I'll ask it again. How do we find the proper torque specs for Victron products? I need them for the 500a shunt and the SmartBatteryProtect 100a and I can find values in any of the documentation. Every other product I am using for my install has proper torque specs in the installation documentation, I am really surprised its this hard to find them for my Victron products.

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@jwlynch82, in my experience Victron will generally only specify the torque when/if it varies from standard specifications for the type of connection. This is largely due to their understanding that each installation is different and, outside of a laboratory environment, the sad but honest truth is that very few DC installers are carrying around a torque wrench in their toolkit.

In the case of the SBP100, it has M8 stainless connections so I would torque to the standard 22.8Nm; the shunt has M10 brass connections, so I would torque to the standard 17.0Nm.

Obviously these are guidelines only, and actual installation should be according to your particular use-case... some customers, for instance, use non-factory lock washers in their installations, in which case obviously the torque needs to be adjusted accordingly, and other similar circumstances are quite common. As with anything else, if you torque it to spec and it still wiggles, you should torque it some more.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic