question

eliott avatar image
eliott asked

Dimensions change of LiFePO4 Battery 25.6V/200Ah Smart?

Hi!

I received batteries that had a different screw type than before, a little bit higher. Can anybody tell me if this will be standard or just one off and will there be an update to

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/DimensionDrawing_LiFePO4_25.6V200Ah_Smart.PDF

The reason I am asking is because I have a design that fits within 1-2mm tolerance and this change would break it.

thanks

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @eliott I don't know the answer, but personally be concerned with any design that hardly leaves any sensible amount of space around any type of battery and its connections.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Can you explain why? Of course this was a necessity, these things don't get hot, don't require ventillation, so why do you think it is a must to leave some space?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw eliott commented ·

All batteries generate some heat when charged or subject to fast discharge and while not to same extent as e.g. LA, it is best practice. Look at the internal temp of your battery bms and you may understand why. Show me one manufacturer that does not expect some space around their batteries ... also, if heat slowly builds up with nowhere to go over time?

What are the thoughts of other community members?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

Hi All, hope this example helps. There are a lot of us 'yachties' that have space limitations particularly with boats that were built for LA type batteries and we are upgrading to LIPO and trying to install under a seat or bed for e.g. I understand from above that it is likely that the space parameter is a 'height' issue and not necessarily an 'all-round' tolerance. With ours there is almost 1.5mm above battery post/cable but good ventilation from left to right across bank and then upwards by 1m for good temp passive exhaust venting. I also check the internal 'smart' battery temp regularly when concerned and the BMS and VenusGX also checks to ensure no charging for high temperature. Have connected a 'battery space' temperature sensor (generic analog input) to the VenusGX with the sensor located at the top side exit of the house compartment. So numerous measures to ensure good temp control/notification and charging limiting by temp on. To date have not seen more than approx 2deg above ambient and on the water so nothing extreme. Also temp offsets available on MPPT and battery. Logging all good via Venus. I waited a long time to get the 'lower' height to fit in under the seats and thanks Victron for the later 24 V LIPO. All in all even on the hottest days in Australia we are not seeing too high temps inside the battery compartment and even if away from boat MPPT would also limit charging if it became an issue. Good luck with the install but do ensure good ventilation somehow.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic