question

windhoos avatar image
windhoos asked

Argo Fet manual diagram vs Victron system diagram examples

I'm redoing my 12V power distribution on my sailboat and one of the items I bought is a Argo Fet 200-2. However, the diagram in the Argo Fet manual is totally different from this example https://www.victronenergy.nl/upload/documents/1.2KVA-12V-MultiPlus-230-Volt-system-example-with-Argo-Fet-and-MPPT.pdf (I mean the Argo Fet part of the example diagram)

I hope that someone can explain the difference to me. Especially why, in the example diagram, Output 1 goes to the starter motor and not directly the starter battery.

Argo FET Diode
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Windhoos

the link is not working, can you edit it?

0 Likes 0 ·
windhoos avatar image windhoos Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi. Strange, the link works in edit mode, but not once published. In any case, I included the link in the question

0 Likes 0 ·
stavarda avatar image stavarda commented ·

what size cables are you using ? you have drawing of what you are doing ?

0 Likes 0 ·
windhoos avatar image windhoos stavarda commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
stavarda avatar image stavarda windhoos commented ·

@Windhoos Hi Thanks for that , what was the formula for the cable sizes as i see you use 50mm2 for both Starter and house bank?

will be doing a very similar system but using a Victron 12/3000 230 v Inverter charger

0 Likes 0 ·
windhoos avatar image windhoos stavarda commented ·

My wIndlass is 1200W, So approx 100A. But given startup load and if/when my anchor gets stuck, the current can momentarily be higher. the distance (single cable) is approx 7 meters from the battery to the windlass. This, and the fridge and normal load (pumps, instruments, lights, etc) made me decide to go for 50mm2 cable. I also wanted to have a very small voltage-drop between the alternator-Argo Fet and the 2 battery banks (engine & house). I've used a couple of calculators that I found online. Can't remember the urls, sorry. Just be aware that in most calculators you need to define the total cable run length (Positive and Negative cable lengths)

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Windhoos

Output 1 goes to the starter motor and not directly the starter battery.

That's just how a lot of motors are wired, there is no electrical difference.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.