question

cwoody avatar image
cwoody asked

Non-Isolated vs Isolated Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger

Hi all,

I have a VW Caddy van that I’m converting to a camper. It’s a modern one with a silly euro 6 alternator and some I’m on the understanding that I need an Orion Smart DC to DC charger, specifically the Smart one to charge my Victron AGM battery (in time this may become a lithium).

If I’m planing on using the chassis as a ground for both the starter battery and the leisure battery combined, do I need the isolation?

Thanks

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Cwoody, no you do not need the isolated version.

...that being said, depending on your timeline/ location, it may be a while before you see the non-isolated version available, so the isolated version would work well for you too, if you can get one of those sooner.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattr avatar image
mattr answered ·

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA I am in the same spot and I was wondering if I did use the isolated version, would I just wire both the input and output negatives to a junction stud or something similar and then run that to my chassis ground. Something like this? And, if I were the wire something like this up, would it just be better to try and get the no isolated version? screen-shot-2021-02-16-at-110552-am.png

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic