question

5teve avatar image
5teve asked

Venus Os multiplus ON /OFF control not working

Hi All

Just a quick question, I have an older multiplus 3000/12/100 with the 19 series micro. I have it hooked up to a raspberry pi and it sees everything and was so easy to setup.

My question is I was under the impression that the multiplus can be switched on and off by the venusOS interface... Am I wrong? Do I have to run a separate switch if the inverter is hidden.

Thanks

Steve

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
aizen avatar image
aizen answered ·

hi 5teve, am using rpi with venus os 2.51...the switch is available....click on the inverter...its the first setting.word of Caution my rpi is powered via the inverter...so I tried the to 'off' function via remote...the rpi switched off and I was unable to switch on the inverter...had to quickly drive to my house to switch on the inverter using inverter manual switch

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aizen avatar image aizen commented ·

just to add my multiplus is of 26 series chip...

0 Likes 0 ·
5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

HI Aizen

Thanks for confirming that. I am not able to control the multiplus. I am running 2.51 and firmware 209 (19 series chip) - but even in the victron configure app I am not able to control the inverter using the virtual panel. When connected to the Rpi I get the message that is on the screenshot below.

Over rule by remote IS enabled and has been disabled / re enabled several times - I have no assistants - I have this in my garage as a mock up before it goes in my boat.

Am I missing something else (maybe a dip switch setting?)

Steve

capture.png (34.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

5teve avatar image 5teve commented ·

Just to note - I have just performed a set all settings to default - Made sure all dip switches are OFF changed VEbus port and still nothing..

0 Likes 0 ·
aizen avatar image
aizen answered ·

Hi 5teve, I would reinstall the multiplus firmware with VictronConnect (it’s quite straight forward...I assume you have mk3-usb interface), uninstall and reinstall VE.configure...and see what happens btw with VictronConnect you can change settings of the multiplus

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

Hi Aizen

The 209 firmware was only installed this morning, so was hoping that would solve it. I had to do it with the old flash program as victron connect only works with 4xx firmware or appears to. Its either the Inverter isnt designed to work this way (I doubt it) being an older version or something is locking the on off capability - I just dont know where to look!

I will try reflashing though

Steve

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

OK as an update. I have done the following:-

Reset all settings in VE configure (Victron Connect says the firmware isnt new enough)

Reflashed a completely different firmware (latest non assistant firmware 159 as opposed to the latest assistant firmware 209.)

Reprogrammed all settings via VE Configure making sure over ride by remote was ticked.

All seems to be working ok and configured correctly.

Testing - using the VE configure remote panel simulator. - Current limiter changes and holds the set current. Connect to the Rpi and it shows set current limit. Try and change the current on the Rpi - nothing - it allows the current display to change but when you hit accept it reverts back to the set current (ie if you set the limit to 10a in the virtual remote panel on Vcofig - Rpi lets you change to say 4a but as soon as you hit accept it reverts to 10a)

Virtual Remote panel in Vconfig - On-OFF-Charger only does not work - Rpi does not work either as before. Rpi does not show mode even when front panel switch is set to Charger only it just says ON

So my thoughts are:-

Is there a way to completely reset the firmware - bit like a PC cmos clear? I'm wondering if something is stuck? - Do Dip switches have any effect?

The PCB is that old that it is not supported or was not designed to work this way - but then why would a remote panel be useable?

Based on the above are newer PCB's available to allow upgrades of the Micro?

Is there a way of getting to newer firmwares with older processors?

I can wire a on-off-on switch to the remote switch terminal - but i'm trying to avoid it. Inverter will be hidden so this is fairly crucial for me..

I want to get this sorted as I will be adding Victron Lithium, BMV etc to the system once I get things worked out! I dont really want to have to buy a new Multiplus!

Steve

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

OK some more details - from the device page in the RPI re the multiplus

Multiplus 12/3000/120-16

Product ID 1909

Firmware 159

Device Instance 288

VE bus version 1909159

Mk2 device MK3

Mk2 version 1170207

picture of main board

2 |3000

Related Resources