question

alleletric avatar image
alleletric asked

Alternative to using a VE.Direct non inverting remote on-off cable mppt 100/30

Hi,

my system is LFP Lithium iron phosphate.

I have two BlueSolar Charge Controllers MPPT 100/30 and need to disconnect then in a high voltage scenario, this is controlled by my BMS.

I do not want to use the VE.Direct non inverting remote on-off cables as that would not allow me to use the VE.direct port for my current remote monitoring system.

Is it acceptable to use a victron battery protect to disconnect the mppt100/30 battery output as illustrated in the diagram on the last page of the battery protects manual (Rev12 30-04-2018 fig5).

I am not sure how the MPPT 100/30 will react if I cut the battery and leave it open with the PV panels since as soon as you cut the battery the energy stored on the PV panel cables will want to discharge somewhere so the voltage on the PV input in the blue solar will increase and not sure if the MPPT 100/30 has a method to deal with that?

thanks

Carl

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Using the BatteryProtect to switch the charge current to the battery from a MPPT is perfectly fine. Thats how mainly lithium systems use the battery protect for this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.