question

danepb avatar image
danepb asked

False overload alarms

Good day,

I have a AC coupled 5kW system.

Every now and again, during a power outage, I receive a overload alarm and once a system shutdown when the system switched over to inverter power. The thing is, there was no loads to justify the overload.

I have noticed during the triggering of the outage, it takes some time for the grid inverter to react and that value that was feeding back into the grid starts to show on the load-side.

I am just wondering, due to the time delay, the system sees the generation in the load and thinks it requires the batteries to meet that load, which is in fact the generation.

I have also seen this on a few of my systems and wonder if anyone else has experienced or noticed this.

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerAC PV Coupling
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

If the low disconnect in the DC coupled inverter side is set to 180V this can happen. If you raise it up to 205V to help with reaction time.

The other possibility is the sudden current draw from the batteries is causing an issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
qpcamp avatar image qpcamp commented ·

I have the same issue with my Multiplus 48V 3000. In fact, it trips on an overload even though inspection of the data (downloaded Excel file) does not show any anomalies. I've changed the low disconnect as suggested above and will monitor it.

0 Likes 0 ·
ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq qpcamp commented ·

same with me few times, Victron tech may help with this issue

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @qpcamp and others,

Please see this answer about a firmware update to 481 for the solution - https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/71184/overload-warnings.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Yes, conclusively resolved in 481.

0 Likes 0 ·
Henrik avatar image
Henrik answered ·

Hello

we are having the same issue with a 3 phase system of 6 x 48/15000 Quattros.

It happend the second time now within 2 months: A sudden full system shutdown with "Overload L1: Alarm" after a grid failure instead of switching to inverting mode as normal.

All circuit breakers on the AC output side are checked ok, so for sure no shortcut and very likely also no actual overload on L1 occured.

No VE.BUS error codes reported when checking with VEConfigure Multi

Manual switch OFF/ON of all 6 Quattros needed to resolve the shutdown

Currently all 15/48000 Quattros run on identical software version 2656430

Could this be also a firmware issue of the 6 Quattros?

2 |3000